Friday, January 12, 2018

More Lunchtime Inspiration

   I have a love-hate relationship with making my kids lunches.  I might actually do a happy dance when the Friday comes because I don't have to worry about it for a few days.  The reality is, I really love making the kids lunch and making sure they are eating decent food for lunch.  The kids love taking them and never once have they asked to eat the lunches the school provides.  Every once in awhile I feel kind of stumped at what to make.  Coming up with new ideas for lunches that aren't peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is exhausting, which is why I thought it was time for a new blog post with some fresh ideas. 

It's been awhile since we've talked school lunches, so I thought I would share where I stand with lunches and why I think it is so important. 

1.  Kids need to eat and when they don't eat, they get cranky.  No one wants to deal with HANGRY, especially Hangry combined with post school exhaustion.
 2.  Kids need to eat healthy, minimally processed food and packing them lunches that they will eat provides them energy and brain power to get through the school day (and maybe a few errands after school). 
3.  We use bento boxes so that everything is in front of them when they open it up.  They may not finish their lunch, but they aren't just eating a sandwich bag full of chips for lunch.  They are eating a little bit of everything, so they are getting protein and fruits and veggies. 
4.  Most often both lunches are the same, but sometimes they are different depending on what's in the fridge or if it's a dairy or non dairy option (Weston has a soy and dairy allergy). 
5.  Protein is important.  I try to pack several options for protein and limit the amount of treats.  Every now and then, I throw a treat in there, because we all need a little bit of happy.  I also believe in moderation.  But, I also know my kids. . . usually these are the first things they go for.
6.  Before trying anything new, I make it for dinner, that way I can get a feel if they actually like what they eat. 

Here is some inspiration that isn't horribly overwhelming.  Nothing looks like it walked out of a magazine.  There are no sandwiches decorated to look like dogs.  Just easy peazy meals that don't take a ton of time to prep and prepare. 
 Little smokies , apple sauce, sunchips, cheese, and a small piece of dark chocolate.

Ham and Cheese roll ups, gold fish, apple sauce, treat. 
Make your own lunchable.

 Egg salad and crackers, jello, apple sauce, yogurt and a small rice krispy treat. 

Baked ravioli with marinara sauce, blackberries, tomatoes,and a mini babel cheese

English muffin pizza with Daiya cheese shreds, peanut butter crackers, chocolate zucchini muffin, cashews,and oranges.

 Tortilla pizza cups, pretzel slims/gold fish saltines, carrots and strawberries, chocolate

 Pretzel dogs, yogurt, chips and a small piece of dark chocolate

 sausage pancakes, applesauce, cookie, and maple syrup
bean burrito, apple sauce, chips and salsa
Peanut Butter and Jelly, pop chips, apple sauce, energy bite, fruit snack


 Peanut Butter and Jelly, jellow, apple slices, cheese, crackers

turkey roll ups, yogurt pop chips, dried mango

 hard boiled egg, jello, turkey roll ups, energy bites

tortellini, ranch, carrots, jello, energy bite

egg salad sandwiches, pumpkin muffin, gold fish, dark chocolate, applesauce

 Peanut butter and pretzels, apple sauce, hard boiled egg

penne and meatballs with marinara, jello, apple sauce

And that's all I have for now.  You can find more inspiration in my instagram feed with the hashtag KLASSENLUNCHES.

The original post of Lunchtime inspiration with more simple ideas is here.

Also, our Bento boxes are easylunchboxes and you can find them on Amazon here.

Happy Reading




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...