Thursday, February 21, 2019

5 thoughts on Creativity

Creativity.

We all have it. 

Somewhere deep inside, we have a desire to create something beautiful.

Some of us have to dig deeper than others, but it's there.  

There's no denying it.  We can try all we want, but I am a firm believer that if we were created in the very image of the God - by the God who created each of us uniquely and pretty much everything amazing outside - I'm pretty sure we have some sort of creativity inside us. 

A little over 11 years ago, I found out I was pregnant with our firstborn.  And I got so many congratulations that I lost count.  But, often, that congratulatory tone shifted seconds later to, "What are you going to do with all of your craft stuff?"  I just shrugged and responded with a sly nothing.  I'm guessing many of  them walked off thinking I was crazy and that soon would be realizing that a new mom has no time for creative endeavors.  10 years and 2 boys later, I am so thankful I did not heed the subtle suggestions of older people around me, because I cannot even count the times that doing something creative fueled my soul, energized me, and made me a better mom. 

There are days, like today, where the very thought of being creative is just hard.  It's hard to dig deep and find that creativity.  I can't even begin to tell you how long I stared at a blank screen before the words began to flow today.  But, I'm so glad that I pressed in because just maybe you'll feel encouraged. 



So here are 5 thoughts on creativity.


1.  We are all unique. 
I mentioned up there at the top, that we were all created to create, but did you catch that word, unique?  I love Isaiah 64:8, because he uses the analogy of God being a potter and we are the clay.  Have you every looked at hand made pottery at the store?  Besides being more expensive than your machine perfected stoneware, each piece of hand made pottery is not the same.  It might looks super similar at a distance, but when you take the time, stepping closer, you will find that they are truly different.  There is a potter that makes these special bowls for Food Blogger Teri Turner at No Crumbs Left.  These bowls are made with the purpose of holding onion slices bathing in some olive oil.  These simple containers are all different. In a Instagram story this morning she was talking about some of them being flawed, yet they all did their job.  Hold the marinating onions.

Because we were created uniquely, the way I am creative does not always look the way you find joy in creating.  Isn't that great?!

2.  Don't join the Comparison Game
This point kind of piggy backs off the first one.  Remember, you are unique.  It was not God's intention to have you have the same interests as those around you. You can't compare you're house to your best friend's because you may have different styles.  It's okay, if you like making quilts and your friend would rather be out in nature taking pictures of flowers.

It is so easy to peruse Pinterest and countless blogs and get discouraged by perfect photos of beautiful projects and gorgeous home decor and those thoughts of inadequacy start to flood through your mind and heart and before long you start feeling like you aren't good enough and then you just stop creating and instead feel empty.   

  Embrace your uniqueness and fight the urge to compare yourself to those around you.  You will find great joy creating things for you instead of getting discouraged. 

3.  Don't Sell Yourself Short
I had a conversation a while ago, that an sweet friend was telling me that she was not creative and crafty.  I've heard her say this before, but that same sweet friend, is an amazing host and makes some seriously delicious chocolate cake.  She may not find joy in bringing out a glue gun, ink pads, or even the sewing machine, but that sweet friend finds joy in other things that are also creative. 

Don't fall into the trap that all creative endeavors have to be something you might find at your local Hobby Lobby.  You might have a knack for home decor or even building an table out of carefully picked out wood.  You might even find it fuels your soul when you use your computer skills and craft an app using code.  Or you might be like my husband, who sees the beauty in numbers and formulas and understands things, like the Golden Ratio, which is found in so many things like architecture and nature.  From art to writing and speaking to science, creativity is everywhere.  Look at your gifts and abilities. . . those things that bring you joy. . . and you'll find that you are, in fact, a creative person.


4.  You have to make time for it. 
Remember that story I shared earlier about everyone thinking I had would have to idea to create once my son was born?  I didn't always nap when my son was sleeping.  The truth is, that was my time to do something for me.  I learned new recipes, I made cards, I did some scrap booking, I bought a sewing machine.  These things fueled me in more ways than a nap ever could.  Sure, I was fairly sleep deprived, but I didn't notice it as much, because there are more ways to be energized.  Even now, with two kids and crazy schedules, it's a little bit harder to fit it in, but I do, because if I don't I find that I start feeling empty-like inside. 

Last Spring, my best friend found a perfect plank of wood and decided she was going to do some string art.  She had probably a ton of other projects she could have been working on, but on this particular Sunday, she told her husband that she just needed a few hours to do something for herself.  The result was the most beautiful ocean waves with string and nails, but more than that, a refreshed mom and wife. 

Click on something fun to try on Pinterest or make a girls night at your local ceramic or painting studio.  Set aside time to just write.  Whatever if takes, find ways to do something that creatively brings you joy.   Today, I am attempting my first laminated bread recipe.  Whether it works or not, I set aside today to try something new creatively. . . and that alone is bringing me joy!


5. Don't Give Into Fear
Don't be afraid to try something new or even get your kids involved. Don't be afraid to look for inspiration.  Take an idea and tutorial and try it out and then if, you liked it put your own spin on it.  Copying is one of the biggest compliment you can get. . . just don't take credit for the idea.  But, don't let fear stop you from doing what you were created to do. . . to create.

I have another sweet friend who started making some super cute felt creations, which eventually led to an etsy shop and now she runs a super fun shop in Brooklyn that fans like Kristin Bell have fallen in love with. 

That creative bug deep inside of you might just spark a new career path or just be a way to save your sanity on a day when life seems to be not going that great. 

It also might bring about a mess.  I saved some magnolia branches from the wood chippers the other day and I'm pretty sure they city tree trimmers thought I was insane.  But those branches that look like a crazy mess on my back patio are going to make something super fun (hint: it's already on my blog from a few years ago). 

Creating something does not require perfection, but a willful heart to try something new or make something.  Don't be afraid to take a risk or invite a friend along for a creative ride. 

Fear is so powerful if we let it win.  Fight for your creativity.

I am so thankful that God gave us the gift of creating.  It is definitly a gift that feeds the soul, so I encourage you sweet friend to take some time this week and do something creative. . . even if it doesn't include a glue gun!

Let me know how you are finding your creativity this week, by using #outoftherightbrainblog or private message me.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...