Friday, August 30, 2019

S'more Cookies

I have a love hate relationship with summer.  I love the long, slow days that come with school being out, enjoying time with friends swimming and making s'mores. I don't like the heat. The combination of friends hanging out around the fire and marshmallows on sticks slowly charring over the fire (or in my case, quickly catching on fire!) brings so many memories of camping as a child.  Earlier this summer, our best friends and us took turns watching each other's kids for different events we each had.  When we arrived to pick up our kids, we ended up sticking around and roasting marshmallows for a bit before heading home and I'm pretty sure it was one of my favorite memories of this summer!

Since today marks the start of Labor Day weekend and we have been on countdown mode all week. . . because it's been pretty insane around here and we are ready for some time or rest, margin, and family time!  I've already dug out my book and picked up some magazines and I baked a batch of the most amazing cookies ever and of course they combine all the things required to make a delicious s'more. 
 I love s'mores so much that when I first started blogging, I made a pact with Jon to not make the same kind of cookies for an entire year in order to prove to him that there had to be a better recipe than the Nestle Toll House recipe we all tend to stick with (yes, they are good. . . but we found better).  One of the recipes I tried was this one.  And it was good, but after the Summer Bake from Scratch came out and one of the recipes this S'mores recipe that had a major improvement to the ones I had tried several years ago.  The problem with using regular mini marshmallows is that they burn really easy in the oven, just like over the fire.  And then, you are just left with largest blotches of sticky goo.  Still good, but there is a better way.
 A few years ago, Kraft came out with some teeny marshmallows that are dehydrated and are more like the consistency of those you'd find in a box of lucky charms.  We buy them and keep them in our coffee/hot cocoa basket and honestly, I never even considered using them in cookies. . . until I saw this recipe.  Seriously, life changing.  Best thing ever!  They came out perfect, perfect amounts of marshmallow bits combined with chocolate pieces and ground up graham crackers.  You definitely feel like you are eating a s'more when you eat these!  I'm kind of drooling as I type. 
I loved this recipe so much that I made them again this morning. . . they really are drool-worthy!  They are so good, that I have been holding on to this recipe to share with family this weekend, but when Weston got home from school and saw them sitting here, he was begging for one.  So, we may need a miracle that they even make it to the family gathering. 

So, without further torture of how good they are, let's get to the recipe and get this Labor Day weekend going.  I hope you all have a wonderful and safe weekend! 

S'more Cookies
adapted from Bake from Scratch
(Baking Made Easy 2019)

Ingredients:
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 package of chocolate chips
1 cup miniature marshmallow bits.

 Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Then add eggs and vanilla.  Beat until well incorporated.  Add in all your dry ingredients and only stir until it's all mix in.  Add chocolate chips and marshmallow bits and stir with a spoon.  Using a cookie scoop or a spoon drop dough onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake for 10 mintues.

Notes:
We used Annies Graham crackers (soy free), Guittard dark chocolate chips (soy and dairy free) and then today I used Enjoy Life Chocolate chunks (dairy and soy free). 

Here's a link to the marshmallow bits. . . so you know what you're looking for.  I found them at Target, but you can get them on Amazon, so you don't even have to leave your house.  See, a win!

And once again, Enjoy your weekend!












No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...