Wednesday, October 07, 2020

A season of Pivoting and Porching.

The air is starting to feel more like Fall and less like summer.  If I squint my eyes together, I can sometimes see the start of leaves changing and the mornings have a sort of coolness that almost makes you reach for your sweatshirt. . . almost.  We've been inundated with a lot of smoke due to California's incredibly bad fire season this year, so I'm just pretending the grey, smoke-filled sky is overcast.  Last night was the second week of the Bible Study I host and the first time we met in person.  The air cleared up just enough that it was safe for us to meet outside on my imaginary front porch (Insert all the praise hands here!). 

I love perusing my insta feed at all beautiful pictures of front porches, where it seems like people really love to gather in the front of their house (throw in one of those bed swings and I might just swoon!). There is something captivating at front porch life.  Maybe this obsession is because we don't have front porches in my neighborhood.  We have stucco houses built in the 60's where people pull into their garages and walk into their house shutting the door on the outside world.  It's really quite sad when you think about it.  This summer, when we headed back to Wyoming to see my grandma and my parents, we spent a lot of time just chilling on the front porch.  It was where we drank coffee, maybe read a book, or just sat around swinging in the porch swing catching up on life.  It was lovely.  We found ourselves lingering there quite often.    

We came home to our hot summer weather where its too hot do anything outside but swim. However, something about that porch got me thinking.  There was a draw about the front porch that got me thinking about how I could make a porch-like situation in the front yard of my mid-century home.  We had this cement slab that sort had no purpose and wondered if there was a way to make this space inviting, especially since in order to keep Bible Studies going in the fall we were going to have to be incredibly creative on how we approached meeting together.  This resulted in finding an inexpensive way to create a comfortable and inviting space. 

This was before a couple of the ladies got here. . . but you get the idea
 

(I'll share the sources and details at the bottom of the post) 

We are working really hard to avoid large, crowded areas yet, try to find small pieces of "normalcy" while using wise decision making.  Our pastor has even used the word, pivot.  I'll be honest with you, all I think of when I hear this word is the Friend's cast trying to get a couch up a narrow staircase (tell me I am not alone!).  So instead of gathering in large groups in a big room, we are transitioning to smaller Bible Study groups, either outdoors or via digitally through zoom or google meet.  I love it!  I have always loved gathering with small groups around the table drinking coffee or eating food rather than groups of 10 crammed around multiple tables in a large group setting

. . . it's just so much more personal. 

Here's the thing. . . change is hard.  Change is uncomfortable. Throw in a pandemic and people get angry.  If we let the uncomfortable, angry feelings and our stubborn hearts overwhelm us rather than cause us to be flexible and understanding then we miss out on watching God work in some pretty amazing ways.  I really believe that God is changing the church through this pandemic and quarantine and I can't wait to see us come out of it stronger and better because of it. 

I am two weeks into a new study and here's some observations:

:: People miss each other. 

:: Not everyone is ready to sit outside and social distance if it means being around other humans (and that is okay!)

:: technology is our friend.  

:: You can still connect sitting across a chair from someone. . . even with a face mask.  

:: Small groups make more room for people to be included in the discussion.  

When we chose to pivot, we are flexing those faith muscles and trusting God to work in the middle of the hard, uncomfortable mess that we call this Pandemic.  For me it meant creating a space that was inviting in a safe way.  It may mean something entirely different for you, but I challenge you to let go of any stubbornness that is holding you back and choose to pivot to what God has planned.

Also, who wants a front porch now?

 

Sources:

Wood Adirondack chairs  -  We bought them at Home Depot, unfinished.  They are not available anymore. We painted them with spray chalk paint and spray wax, We used this one.

"Stay Awhile" sign

 Wreath

 

Notes: I encouraged everyone to stop and grab their favorite coffee shop on the way, but provided water with straws and lids if needed.  I also encouraged people to bring their own chairs.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...