Tuesday, January 31, 2012

"W" cookies

I had originally planned on doing number ones instead of W's.  However, I was trying to keep costs down and only wanted to buy one cookie cutter, not a whole set of them.  But, I think they came out super cute.  I might add that they were delicious!!!!  We were worried that there would be any left for Weston's birthday, because we kept eating them (guilty grin, here!).  

I used a recipe that Brooke, from Inchmark used and swears by.  I have always wanted to make them, but usually sugar cookies aren't my first choice to bake (if you are wondering, chocolate chip would be my first choice!).   I used a frosting that I found on allrecipes.com that I love. It has Karo syrup in it and gets hard when it dries.  It tastes amazing, but you don't get the smudges and messed up frosting that you would find from a butter cream.

Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies
adapted from Blonde Designs

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
pinch of salt
3 tsp vanilla (the recipe originally called for 2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp almond. . . I also don't measure my vanilla)
3 cups flour

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.  Add sugar and mix.
Add egg, salt, and vanilla.  Mix well.
Add flour and mix.
Place dough in a round ball on plastic wrap.  Wrap it up and stick it in a zip lock bag.  Refrigerate overnight.
Roll out onto a floured surface and cut out cookies with your favorite cookie cutters.
Stick cookies on ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 375 until edges begin to brown.  There was no time limit and it completely depends on your oven and if you are using metal pans, a silpat, or stoneware.  I recommend setting your timer for 7 minutes and then checking.  You want the cookies to be just barely brown.  Cool them on a wire rack.


Sugar Cookie Icing
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp milk
2 tsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla
Wilton coloring gels

Directions:
Combine ingredients together until smooth and glossy.  If it too thick, add more syrup.
Dip, paint them, or use a size 1 tip and spread it around.

I used a 1 tip and my Pampered Chef decorator bottle set, with the size one tip.  They worked really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...