Monday, December 17, 2018

Target Dollar Spot Finds {Christmas Decor}

 The stockings are hung, the tree is decked, presents are wrapped (well, most of them!), and the kids are officially on vacation.  Ethan is working hard at a puzzle (it should take him awhile), and Weston is busy building with legos and it's so quiet.  I know it won't last long, but I do know these moments of quiet are more and more frequent as the boys get older.  So, mom's of little ones (who are already testing your patience on this first day of vacation. . . I promise you, it get's better! 

So, while the kids are off doing their own thing and I am enjoying a cup of coffee in the unexpected quiet of the morning, let's talk Christmas home decor.  I started this post last week and well, end of semester/Christmas crazy kind of took over my life and that's okay.  I have a tendency to want to add things or change things each year and this year I found some really cute things in the Target Dollar Spot.  Raise your hand if it's not one of your favorite places!  I mean, conveniently located right by the Starbucks, you can't help but glance and hope for some sweet treasures. While not all the treasures are $1, most things are $5 and under, which is still a pretty good steal!  This year, their Christmas selection did not disappoint.
 White ceramic houses.
I found these in several different sizes.  I am not sure if their intention was to have kids paint them or not (btw great idea if you are looking for something to keep your littles busy), but the simple, unpainted, matte look of these houses is just so much fun!  I stuck it on a charger I had found at Hobby Lobby last Spring with some fake snow I bought at Potterybarn way back before I had kids.  Then I stuck to white bottle brush trees in it to make it look kind of homey.  I meant to find some little twinkle lights to stick inside, but that didn't happen. . . maybe next year? 

Bottle Brush Trees
I can't tell you how much I just love the simplicity of bottle brush trees.  I had bought a few last year and more this year (because I had forgotten!) because they were a dollar a piece.  Perfect thing to add some simple flair to a spot. . . like next to the ceramic house and next to our letter board in the hutch.  By the way, that wooden stick star was from the dollar spot last year! 
 Metal Rod Houses
I am not actually sure what these are called, but I do know that they are cute and have endless possibilities.  I stuck a mason jar filled with salt with a votive inside the house and then placed some tree scraps/sprigs all around it.  It sits next to our Advent tree with twinkle lights and it just might be one of my favorite things I've done this year.
And finally, our hutch.  I just wanted to take a minute and share it with you, because decorating a hutch can be kind of expensive. . . the shelves add up.  So I thought I would share with you some inexpensive ways to decorate your hutch or a shelf, for that matter. 

1.  Find a few pieces that stand out .  For us, it was the cranberry trees.  I fell in love with them several years ago and we figured out how to fit them into our Christmas budget.  They actually started out as a centerpiece idea and then we bought this hutch and they just fit perfect!

2.  Picture Frames and Free Printables.  Take advantage of some of those super creative free printables out there.  There are tons out there and there's one sure to fit your style. Just rerpurpose old picture frames and print them out.  I used this one and this one.

3.  Letter boards.  These things are so much fun! You can change your saying with each season or if you are just in a goofy mood.

4.  Vase Fillers are fun ways of filling up space in hurricanes, lanterns and so much more.  I have a a collection of inexpensive ornaments that I like to use as filler, as well as the fake snow and fake cranberries. 

5.  Take advantage of nature.  Every year, I go grab some clippings from the Lowe's Christmas Tree lot.  It doesn't cost me a dime since I basically grab it out of their clipping trash.  THey are perfect for filling up vases and jars and tea pots for decor. 

Giving your home some Christmas Cheer doesn't take a winning lottery ticket or huge credit card debt.  Shop your house and take advantage of the Target Dollar Spot.  Have you found any wonderful finds this year?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...