Friday, November 01, 2019

Sprinkle Cupcakes

 It's Friday.  Let's all pause right now and do a happy dance because we made it through we week and Halloween!

Now, let's drool over these cupcakes.  They are just perfect!  And really, REALLY delicious. 

I have a confession to make.   It took me 6 months to make my husband's birthday cake.

Yep.  That's real wife of the year stuff, right here.  Ha Ha!  His birthday was last March and only last month did I finally make his cake.  (Jon, if you are reading this, I am really, really very sorry).  Things got really busy last Spring and it just didn't happen, but I did get it made and it was wonderful!  Jon had picked out a recipe from the Bake from Scratch Cakes edition that came out back in February and it was one that I new had to have some adjustments, because it was layer cake with ice cream.
Jon's favorite cake has always been a classic Funfetti cake.  I mean, you can't go wrong.  Even the boxed mixes are good (but I highly recommend trying a made from scratch version because they just up the ante so much more).  A few years ago, I made this one from Baked Bree and it was delicious!  Things started to get really fun when Jon started watching shows like Cake Boss and Ace of Cakes and now I think he just likes to give me a challenge.

I mentioned earlier that this recipe was originally part of an ice cream cake and since only half of our family can have dairy free ice cream and dairy free ice cream comes in pints. . . and are not the cheapest things!  Plus, I hadn't found a coconut based strawberry ice cream that I liked. . . until the day I made this (side note: Oatly strawberry ice cream is seriously the best thing ever. . . even my husband thinks it's wonderful!).   I took the main part of the recipe and made cupcakes and made Jon's extra special which I will add down below. 
Just looking at these pictures is making me so hungry for a cupcake!  The had the most perfect texture and flavor that I am so glad I froze some to keep on hand for special treats!  Best Idea Ever!

So, while I debate whether or not to get some out for dessert tonight (It's Friday!!), let me leave you with the recipe so you can enjoy some too!

Enjoy and have a great weekend!


 Sprinkle Cupcakes
adapted from Bake from Scratch, 20019

Ingredients:
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
3 1/2 cups cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk, plus 1 tbsp vinegar (mix together and let sit for 5 minutes so it has a chance to curdle before using)
1/2 cup colored sprinkles
8 large egg whites

Directions: 
In your stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, vanilla, and almond until nice and fluffy.  Add cake flour, baking powder, and salt alternately with milk and vinegar mixture.  Beat only until just combined.  Fold in sprinkles.  Pour mixture into another bowl and set aside.  Clean the stand mixer bowl. 

In your clean stand mixer bowl and your whisk attatchment, beat together egg whites until stiff peaks form.  This video is really helpful for making sure you have stiff peaks, but basically when you pull your beaters the egg whites should stand up and be a little glossy.

Using a spatula, slowly fold in stiff egg whites into the batter.

Line muffin tin with liners and fill each one 2/3 of the way full.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.

Buttercream frosting
1 cup of butter, whipped until smooth
3-4 cups frosting
2 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract

Beat together butter until smooth.  Slowly add in powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and almond extract.  Beat until smooth and creamy.

Pipe or spread onto cupcakes.
Top with sprinkles.

Take it up a notch:
Once cupcakes and frosting are make, take out a small mason jar.
Unwrap a cupcake and cut in half.  Pipe a bit of frosting at the bottom of the jar and place the bottom half of cupcake on top of the frosting.  Take a scoop of strawberry ice cream and put on top of cupcake half.  Then top with the other half of the cupcake.  Top with piped frosting and sprinkle with sprinkles.

Note:  These freeze really well.  There was no way we could eat them all, so we froze them and take out a few every now and then when we need a treat.  They pair really well with some Miss Jones Baking Co. pouches of dairy free frosting I found at Whole Foods! 

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...