Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A speaking opportunity

Last month, I was given the daunting task of speaking to our MOPS group.  This is something I am finding I enjoy doing, but this was not on something as simple as incorporating literacy and art into your daily routine as a mom.  No, this time it took way more preparation and way more prayer.  I was asked to speak on Proverbs 31.  Now, if you've been visiting this blog for awhile, you may note. . . I am slightly obsessed with the subject.  It's a good obsession.  It's a good goal.
My incredible sense of nervousness stemmed from the many comments (and even websites) that that brought out people's discouragement and insecurities when reading the verse.  I have heard and read many things:
I'm too busy.
P31 is not for the modern woman/mom.
I'm not a 1950's housewife.
I don't have servants.
I can't do all those things.
My name is not Martha Stewart.
The more I dig into the life of this amazing woman, the more I want to strive for the same goals she set for herself.  I think all women should, single or married.  I came to the realization that if we believe that the Bible is God's Word, as in inspired by Him  or God-breathed  then we have to believe that this is something that God wants for us, as women.  I also feel that many women feel like overwhelmed when they read the words of P31, thinking that this woman did the impossible, never slept, always had a clean house, and accomplished everything everyday.  The reality is probably that she accomplished the many things that she did during the course of her life and not in one day, or week, or even one year.
That makes me breath easier. How about you?
I also began to think about the current state of marriage.  It's bad.  Over 50 percent of people who get married end up in divorce. Even worse, many people are opting just to co-habitate and not actually get married.  It's sad.  It effects our children in a horrible way.  The Proverbs 31 woman calls up to serve our husbands, to lift them up in prayer, and honor them.  She also challenges up to be trustworthy and faithful.  I wonder if a woman everywhere were to start following the Proverbs 31 example, if the divorce rate would decrease?  Just a thought.
The goal of my talk was to really encourage the ladies. . . to bring them hope that this was doable.  I have so much more that I can say on the subject, so you will probably hear more from me in the future.  But for now, nap time is almost over and there are still a few other things I need to do. And Ethan has been coloring for almost 3 hours and I am sure he's going to start going crazy soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...