Thursday, September 29, 2016

Breakfast on the Go: Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Pancake Sticks

I am not really a morning person.  Someone needs to tell my boys that.  Unfortunately, during the school year, I have to get up and get ready, and so do my kids.  I like to stay in bed until the last possible moment. Which means, being the night owl that I am, I make sure everything for the boys is ready for them and they just do it (it's awesome).  But, they need to eat a good solid breakfast and most mornings I just don't have time to make anything.  Thankfully, a few years ago, I talked my sweet husband into buying this pan on one of our trips to San Francisco. He was skeptical, but I have proven it's usefulness since we brought it home.  I got mine at Crate and Barrel, but I don't think they sell them there anymore (sad face). 

This pan is a life saver!  I try make a batch every week or so and keep them in the freezer.  It works well with homemade, like the recipe I'm about to share with you, as well as box mix pancakes.  I usually bake them for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees.  In the mornings, we just zap a few of them in the microwave and dip them in maple syrup and call it breakfast.  Easy Peasy! 

One of my favorite things about Facebook are the Tasty videos and the Chew clips.  When I saw this recipe from The Chew, I knew we had to make them.  They instantly became the boys favorite pancakes and we added Weston's chocolate chips to make them soy free. Because the pancakes are baked at a hot enough temperature, it helps the buttermilk not affect our dairy allergies.  I will probably be making these again very soon!   



Happy Baking!  


Cinnamon Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from the Chew

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4 cup buttermilk*
1/2 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips

* I most often do not have buttermilk lying around, and find it really effective to add a tablespoon of vinegar into my milk and let it sit.  After a few minutes, instant buttermilk.  It's quick, it's easy, and it works!

Directions:
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, egg, buttermilk, and butter in a bowl.  I usually just use a fork until it looks all combined and just a little lumpy.  Make pancakes like normal, or grease your pancake stick pan and fill half full.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350.  Let sit for a few minutes, then cool on a wire rack.  Eat or flash freeze for a couple of hours and then transfer to a freezer bag for a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...