Tuesday, December 19, 2017

King Arthur Flour Bake-Along: Star Bread

 The three weeks that fill in the time between Thanksgiving break and Christmas Vacation go by way too quickly!   Yesterday marked the first official day of vacation and we soaked it in.  We cuddled on the couch and watched a Christmas movie, we did a little bit of cleaning, we worked on our truth in the Tinsel ornaments, and we read.  It was wonderful!  Definitely loving this stage where the kids kind of do their own things and help around the house!  There is no dreading vacation here, but more anticipation of hanging out with them.  It's funny how quickly things change, so sweet moms of littles. . . there is hope.  Hang in there!  It is bittersweet as the stages change, but oh, so wonderful! 

Despite the hurry over the last three weeks to get as much stuff done possible before the kids were home all day long, I did a little baking.  I can't help it.  It's kind of something that I make room for for a few reasons.
1.  We need to eat.
2.  This one way I give myself margin.
3.  Trying a new recipe and learning something new fill my cup.   It's just how I roll. 
 I recently decided that next year, I will be joining in the fun of the King Arthur Baking Challenge.  Each month, they post a new recipe for their baking audience to try out.  They give step by step directions and even make video tutorials so you can really see what is supposed to go down with those recipe directions.  (you know the ones where you read it a bazillion times and you kind of aren't sure how the heck you are supposed to do something. . . it was like that for me and babka.).  The recipe this month inspired me and once I grabbed all the ingredients, I got to work.  
 The first step is always making the dough.  This recipe was ridiculously simple.  It has potato flakes, which at first glance is weird.  But it works.  Also, I was able to find small pouches for like a dollar and it was more than enough for this recipe.  Don't be overwhelmed by strange ingredients. Take all the ingredients and mix together.  Seriously, super easy.  After that, it just sits there and looks pretty. 
 These twists. . . this was the part that stumped me.  I ended up watching the tutorial that KAF made and I really just over complicated it.  It was two slits and twist twice in the opposite directions and pinch together.  It might looks so weird at first, but it puffs up a bit in the oven and ends up looking amazing. 

 My kids were so excited to eat this last Sunday morning.  In fact, they the biggest battle was who was claiming the middle.  I mean, the middles are the best!  I accidentally pressed too hard in my center, so it cut about 2 of the layers. . . oops!  Also, the star reminds me of the star from Tangled.
Have I left you drooling yet?  My oldest just came in and asked if I was going to make this again anytime soon.  I should.  It was easier than I thought, but it actually looks like I spent all this time on it.  You should make it and wow your friends, too!

Star Bread
adapted from King Arthur Flour

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup instant mashed potato flakes
1/4 nonfat dry milk
3/4 cup to 1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp salt

Directions:
Carefully add your ingredients into your your mixing bowl and knead with your dough hook, until your dough is nice and smooth.  Start with the 3/4 cup water and slowly add more until you get to the right consistency.

Lightly grease. a bowl and place your dough inside and cover.  Let it rise for at least an hour (mine rose all day). 

Divide the dough into 4 equal balls.  Place on parchment paper and let them hang out for about 15 minutes. 

While that's just hanging out, prep your filling ingredients:

  :: 1 beaten egg in a bowl
  ::  another bowl with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tbsp cinnamon. 

Roll out each ball into a circle about 10 inches in diameter.  It doesn't have to be perfect, because you will be twisting it and baking it, and it really does hide any mistakes you might make. . . trust me!

Place first circle on baking sheet.  Brush with egg and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. 
Cover with second circle and repeat process.
Keep doing this until you put that last circle on. . . just don't do the egg white/cinnamon sugar mixture. 

Find a round cookie cutter and gently (don't be like Jolie and cut almost all the way down.) place it in the center.  It's just there to remind you not to cut into the circle area.  Then, take a sharp knife and cut 16 strips all the way around that middle circle. 

Then take two strips that are right next to each other and twist twice in opposite directions.  Then pinch them together on the top.  Continue until all the strips are twisted.  Let it rise for about 45 more minutes and then brush with a bit of that remaining egg from earlier.  Stick in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. 

Then listen to everyone tell you how amazing you are.  Trust me.  You will wow everyone. . . just don't tell them how incredibly easy it was! 

You can go here for picture by picture of how it's done.  It helps!

Happy Baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...