Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Easy Peasy Copy-Cat Souffles

 My kids went back to school two and half weeks ago and I finally feel like we are getting into a groove.  I know that it will be short lived once soccer season starts and we start juggling soccer practice on top other things, but I think it will be worth it.  This year, Ethan's class has a no homework policy and I can't tell you how thrilled I am!  Just read and study for tests, and be a kid!  Weston has a little bit of homework each night, so it doesn't fill up his afternoon, so we are having plenty of time for building with legos and playing catch in the back yard.

Because school has started, I had to think about making sure I had some fairly healthy breakfasts prepared for my kids ahead of time. I may be a stay at home mamma, but I most often than not don't have time to cook a complete breakfast in the morning.  They are 7 and almost 10 (next week!!!), so they know how to use the toaster and the microwave. . . so anything they can help with to get breakfast ready is a lifesaver.  Plus, I really think it teaches them responsibility and gives them a little independence.  Isn't' that our jobs as parents?  So, when I was thinking up of what they were going to eat for the first day of school breakfast, I wanted it to be something special, but also protein packed and super yummy!  The best way to get my kids protein in the mornings is to fix them eggs.  They LOVE eggs!  In fact, Ethan's all time breakfast food is a souffle from Panera.  Weston can only dream of eating them because they are not dairy free. . . bummer!.  So, I got a little creative and now my kids are begging me to make more!
This recipe totally came out of looking in the fridge and seeing what was lying around.  We had some bacon left over from dinner, a can of crescent rolls just begging to be made into something, and eggs.  Oh, and cheese. . . the dairy free kind!  So, I cut pieces of crescent rolls up into triangles and stuck them in a muffin tin with some egg mixture and stuck a piece of bacon on it.  Seriously.  Easy Peasy! 
 The best part was that my kids thought these were the best.things.ever!  Weston was so excited because I made them allergy friendly and well, that's just the coolest when you can't have cheese (seriously, dairy allergies are kind of depressing!).  The next best thing was that they FREEZE!.  Yes, folks, you can makes these ahead of time and freeze them.  Just stick a frozen egg cup on a plate and zap for about a minute or so and instant breakfast of champions! 
 That, my friends, is what I call a win!  Eggs for breakfast that I don't have to make so I can also get ready.  Also, they are way cheaper than a souffle at Panera, so another win?

Do you have a favorite go-to breakfast that you like to make?

Easy Peasy Egg Cup Souffles

Ingredients:
4-5 large eggs
1 Tbsp water, per egg
salt and pepper to taste
cheddar cheese*
Cooked bacon
1 can of crescent rolls

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350*

Crack eggs and scramble with a fork.  Add water, salt and pepper.  Scramble some more.  Grate cheese with a fine grater (I used my hard cheese microplane).  Add into egg mixture and scramble some more.

Spray  your muffin liner with spray and place small triangles of crescent rolls in to muffin tin.  Pour in cheese mixture and top with bacon.  Place in oven and bake for 10-20 minutes.  Use a cake tester to make sure nothing is uncooked in the egg tin.

Eat right away or let cool and stick in a freezer bag and toss in the freezer.

* we used Diaya Farmhouse Cheddar Block and grated it super fine.  Nobody could tell the difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...