Friday, August 24, 2018

Summer Stem Challenge: Crystal Garden

 Today marks the end of the second week of school for my kids and many of you haven't even headed back yet, which makes me not feel an ounce of guilt for not finishing this Summer Challenge before the kids went back.  I mean, we did technically.  I just haven't finished blogging it.  Not biggy.  But today is the day.  Today is the sixth and final Summer Stem Challenge of the summer amd I am so excited because it's probably my most favorite one.  I really did save the best for last!  Salt Crystals are so much fun to make and teach your kids patience because you can't push a button for the magic to happen.  It takes time and patience, which is something that is hard to come by in our very instant gratification world. 

This is one of those science projects that will stick with your kids forever.  It did with me! I remember my third grade teacher doing this with us and it was just the coolest!  My third grade self was super impressed!  Then, when I got to be a third grade teacher (my favorite age to teach, btw!), I did this with them.  It's super easy and so impressive! It's also one of those projects that has some history.  People used to make them with coal during the depression to give their home a little pick-me-up.  They called them "depression flowers."

It also has nothing to do with a chemical reaction.  It simply is evaporation at it's finest.  In fact, this same kind of evaporation happens in the everyday world.  My friend was telling me that crystals like this form when their water starts evaporating in their saltwater tank.  They call it salt creep and it looks just like the crystals that form in this project.  Mrs. Stewarts bluing is blue powder that is mixed with water and sold in a blue bottle in the laundry section at your local grocery store.  It is used to whiten clothes, not to dye them (seems contradictory, but apparently it works because they've been doing it since the late 1800's). These crystals form from the evaporation of the water from the salt and bluing, creating these beautiful white crystals. 

This project needs some plastic containers, either those target brand plastic containers or an old cool whip container (did your family keep those and reuse them or was it just mine?), some sponges, Mrs. Stewarts bluing, water, and regular salt.  If you live in a more humid environment add some ammonia. If you have trouble finding bluing, make sure it's Mrs. Stewarts.  Target and Walmart didn't carry it, but my local grocery store had it in the laundry section.  I searched for it and it turned up a block away from my house! 
Cut up your sponges and dampen them a little then squeeze them out.  You don't want them hard as a rock, but you don't want them oozing water either.  Place them in your container. 
Mix up your solution with 2 tablespoons each of the salt, water, and bluing.  We did it outside because I didn't want to risk staining.  We added ammonia the first time, but it stinks really bad and we live in a incredibly hot and dry area, so it's not really necessary.  It just aids in the evaporation process, so if you live in a humid climate, and it doesn't work, you might want to add a bit of ammonia. However, it stinks really bad and so use it outside.  

Have the kids stir the solution trying to get the salt to dissolve.  It won't all dissolve and will be pretty sludge-like.  That's perfect.   Pour it carefully over the sponges. 
And then you just let it sit.  We added ammonia to our mixture and it sort of sped up the process.  After about an hour, little crystals started to form.  The kids went from a little under excited to "wow! This is so cool" and proceeded to keep checking on it.  Like I said, memorable!
The next day, you probably won't be able to see your sponges and that's okay.  Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of salt over the top.  Then the next day, mix that same solution that you made the first day and pour it over the salt and crystals.  Add some food coloring drops all around and wait a few hours for new, now, colorful crystals to start forming. 
 Isn't that cool!?! 

My kids were impressed and learned a little bit about what happens when water starts evaporating from salt.  It's really quite magical, and one of those things that reminds me how creative God is when we look closely at his creation, even in the little things.  This little crystals are so pretty and came from being patient with something so ugly, and if you used, ammonia, so stinky!   We just have to be patient to see the beauty sometimes. 

Wow! Instant object lesson. 

You can read more about this project at the Mrs. Stewart's Website

Did you do any Stem projects this summer?  I would love to show them on my wrap post next week.  Email a picture of them or your project at jolieklassen@gmail.com.  
 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...