Friday, October 05, 2018

Our favorite chili

 It's October and it's starting to feel like fall!  My windows are open and the sky is painted with the most beautiful fluffy clouds leftover from last night's rainfall.  That rain was the best!  We haven't had rain in months and it was so welcomed around here!  Waking up to rain is the best!  So, when I was menu planning for this week, thinking about easy, hearty meals for my tween on soccer nights, I knew that chili was just what we needed! 

I mean, doesn't chili just scream fall food?  It does in this house, because that's about as close to comfort food as I get.  It made this recipe right after I picked up the kids from school, let it simmer on the stove, fed Ethan and packed up some for me to eat while I watched him play.  I was able to turn off the stove and it was still warm for Jon to eat when he got home from work.  By the time practice had finished, it was cool enough to throw in a container and save for the next two nights.  Last night, we finished off the last of it and it was still just as delicious as the first night. . . I love it when that happens. 

Here. . . let me inundate you with pictures of delicious chili.
See you are drooling.  Unless of course you don't eat meat, then you should hop over to this recipe, because it's one of our favorites too and is vegetarian! But, if you are a meat lover and love a good, hearty chili I highly recommend this one.  It's based off the Deen Brothers Tailgate Chili and they had a good teacher.  So, keep scrolling and make this for the weekend and then go visit a pumpkin patch because it's October and that just sounds like something you should do.
 Our Favorite Chili
adapted from the Deen Brothers 

Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 TBS Chili
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 bag of frozen sweet corn (I use Trader Joes frozen grilled corn)

Serve with sliced avocados, shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream, corn bread, corn chips, etc. 

Directions:
Heat up a large pot or dutch oven.  Brown ground beef and pork over medium heat.  Once it's nice and crumbled and brown, add in onion, garlic, and pepper.  Add in seasonings and let simmer for a few minutes.  Then add the beans, tomatoes and corn.  Continue cooking on medium for about 30 minutes and then keep on low until you are ready to serve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...