Wednesday, October 03, 2018

on "Ten things to tell you"

This blog is one of my happy places. I started it back when Ethan was a year and a half as a way to give myself a "job" that wasn't the same as being a mom.  Over the years, I've gotten braver about what I've shared and with the addition of instagram, blogging has changed.  I love it.  It's much more interactive and personal.  One of my favorite posts are the Connection Time posts because I get to share with you what's happening currently in my life. . . my loves, my likes, my mundane.  It's like we are sharing conversation over a cup of coffee.  When, Laura Tremaine (formally the woman behind the blog Hollywood Housewife), posted a challenge on her Instagram feed I knew that I wanted to join in.  Her desire for the challenge was to get people talking, perhaps go deep, and maybe have a bit of fun.  I jumped right in. and some of them were really hard. 

All ten days of the challenge are scattered around my IG feed, but I wanted to take some time and put them all down in one spot.  Maybe even continue the conversation over here (so feel free to comment!).  Here are the ten prompts and my answers. 

I grew up. . . 
I grew up in two different states.  The first seven years were in Wyoming, where it snows on Easter Sunday and at recess we played in the snow.  Following my first grade year, we moved to California, where I kind of fell in love with the beach!  We spent summers driving back and forth and sometimes braved black ice and horrible winds to visit family at Christmas.  My mom made sure we hit every national landmark between here and there during my childhood and I am so thankful!  Those road trips taught me so much more than I learned in the classroom and gave me a crazy love of traveling and adventure.  Now I love passing that adventure on to my kids. 

Someone who has influenced you . . . 
I could pick authors that I have read or even my mom, but really, in this season of life that I'm in, it's my husband.  This guy challenges me to be brave, to take time for me, and to grow in God's Word.  He encourages me, works out with me, and reminds me to say no things every now and then.  He likes to play devil's advocate and make me really think and I couldn't imagine a better husband and influence!
Something that has changed my worldview . . . 
This one really made me think long and hard.  Seriously, these prompts were not as easy as I thought!  I mentioned earlier that my mom instilled in me a love for traveling.  As my husband and I raise our boys, we are loving how much they love adventure and want to be involved in where we head to next.  I am so thankful, these two are not content thinking the world is just here, in the town we live in. . . even thought we live in such a diverse place!  They get to see God's amazing and creative creation, experience places in our nation's history, and experience the cultures of the places we visit.   It is our hope that they grow up knowing they are not in the center of the world and love the vast diversity of the world we live in. 
Something that I'm strangely good at . . . 
Tetris.  I am absolutely horrible at video games, but when it comes to Tetris I pretty much rock at it!  Also, I'm really good at packing a car, which my husband claims is because of my Tetris skills. 

A defining moment in my life . . . 
Honestly, I think it was in high school when I finally let go of all my anger and hurts and finally decided to forgive.  I grew up going to church and had a relationship with God since I was little, but I was holding on to so much anger (red hair + anger = crazy temper!).  Once I did that my temper improved and now it comes so natural to forgive and let go.  Lesson learned.  Let God have your grudges, forgive people who hurt you (doesn't mean you have to be best friends. . . just forgive) and let God handle the rest!  He's got you covered! 
Something I recently discovered and I can't 
stop talking about . . . 
Last spring, I tried Oatly oat milk with my latte and it was love at first sip!  This milk allergy gal just swooned a few weeks ago when Whole Foods started selling it and then almost cried when I went back to get more and they were all out for who knows how long.  I kind of cry over food.  It happens.  But this stuff is amazing and get's the best froth for a good latte.  We love it so much that when we used the Oatly Oatfinder to decide what coffee shop we were going to try out.  We've baked with it and we had great results!  This stuff is great. . . especially if you can't have milk!
Something that I am struggling with right now . . . 
Honestly, this is a constant battle.  I want to create so much and finding time to do that is hard.  It fuels me and it's kind of why I started this blog.  Some days, the creating is minimal because life just sort of happens (kids, laundry, soccer practice, and other things).  Other days, I squeeze it in, either with little projects or some huge sewing projects and I'm left feeling giddy.  I am working hard at setting aside time several times a week just to slow down and create.  It does my heart so much good! 
My magical reset button . . . 
I love this because sometimes my attitude downright stinks, I'm having a crummy day, or I'm just exhausted.  First off all, the salty beach air and cool breeze reset me instantly. . . but I can't always do that (it's a 3 hour drive!).  So, coffee and or delicious food and time to myself always do the trick.  Usually my funky attitude issues come because I am not taking care of myself.  So grabbing a coffee, wandering Target, or having a lunch break with a good book will usually do the trick!
I have mixed feelings about. . . 
This one was really hard.  In fact, I don't even think that I answered it over on instagram (oops!).  But because I;m here and it won't be ten things if I don't answer.  So, I have mixed feelings about change.  I like it and hate it all at once.  It's both exciting and scary all at the same time.  I fight it and forge head into it all at the same time. 
In 3 months ask me about. . . 
if I am still writing (not just on the blog). I've been trying some new things and working on being brave.  And it's hard.  Also, ask me if I've finished any projects. . . I really need to finish some stuff!


So there you have it. . . 10 things to tell you.  I'm so glad I did this challenge because it really made me think and I hope that it gives you a glimpse of me and my reality outside the blog and Instagram world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...