Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Baked doughnut deliciousness

Warning:  The following post probably won't help you fit into your swimsuit. . . if you eat all of them, that is.  Everything in moderation, right?  Plus, they are baked. . . not fried (oh great. . . now I sound like a potato chip commercial!).  
It seems like every year, Sur la table sends me some free money to go spend at their store (no complaints, here!).  A few years ago, I picked up the Wilton doughnut pan and it seriously is awesome.  I love that I didn't have to pay for it, but it is sooo worth it's 10 dollars!  If you are in need of  a fun pan that isn't a necessity. . . I highly recommend this one! 
I used the recipe on the back of the cardboard wrapper that is displayed around the pan when you buy it.  It seems like a lot of other bloggers use it too, because the recipe is everywhere.  It's a really good recipe for plain donuts and it tastes amazing when accompanied my a delicious chocolate frosting and some yummy sprinkles. Ethan and I had fun picking out the sprinkles for these ones from our stash.  The Alphabet ones were leftovers from Weston's ABC party.   These doughnuts seriously did not last long at all.  My kids were happy, my husband was happy.  I didn't have to go to the doughnut store or spend any money.  It was a win-win for all.  

Plain Baked Doughnuts 
From Wilton

Ingredients:
2 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk 
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 Tbsp butter, melted

Directions:
:: Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
::  Spray your pan with cooking spray (make sure you do this with each batch. . . or your second batch will provide you with a nice challenge of not destroying the doughnut in the process).  
:: Sift together dry ingredients.  Make a nice little whole in the middle of your dry ingredients and add your wet ingredients.  Give it a stir (I used my spoonula) until everything is nicely moistened and wet.  You don't want to over do it, or your doughnuts will be very tough.  
:: Bake 7-9 minutes.  COol for a few minutes and then remove from pan.  Glaze with desired topping.  

Chocolate Doughnut Glaze
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp milk
2 tsp corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 cup powdered sugar

Directions:
Place butter, milk, and corn syrup in a microwave bowl and zap for a bit (short 30 sec intervals, is best) until butter is melted.  Add chocolate and whisk together until melted and smooth.  Add vanilla and powdered sugar.  Dip the top part of doughnuts in to glaze and sprinkle with your favorite sprinkle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...