Friday, July 05, 2013

4th of July yumminess


Happy Day after 4th of July!  I hope you all had a wonderful day celebrating the birthday of our wonderful nation.  Our day was the best ever.  We were unproductive.  We played with water balloons, water guns, and sprinklers.  We watched movies and vegged out.  I read a few pages of a magazine that I've had for a few weeks and still haven't touched.  I made these beautiful creatures.
Honestly, they really aren't anything new.  They are just some jazzed up rice krispy treats.  I made my husband check out some patriotic desserts that would accompany homemade ice cream (that was being made by my husband's uncle).  As soon as he saw these, he knew what he wanted.  I was thrilled, because they would be super easy and not horribly time consuming.  Perfect!  The kids think they are awesome because it turns their tongue blue. . . every boy's dream, right?
These were brought (and shared) with Jon's family's annual 4th of July gathering.  I used my Wilton gel coloring for red and blue layers.  The white layer is just plain old rice krispy treats.   But before I give you the directions (because you probably have the regular recipe memorized, right?), let me share with you some of my favorite pictures from yesterday.
Hiding from the camera/bright flash of the iphone.  Yep!  I still got that cute smile!   It's hard to believe that in 2 months my baby is going to be 5!
Fireworks are loud, but we love them!  

Patriotic Treats

Ingredients:
6 cups rice krispy cereal
3 tbs butter
1 bag of marshmallows (i used the small ones)
Red and Blue coloring (I used the Wilton icing colors)
1-9 inch square baking dish, sprayed with Pam

Directions:
1.  Melt 1 Tbsp.  butter and 1/3 of a package of marshmallows in a medium sized pot.  Once marshmallows are pretty melty (is that even a word?), put a bit of blue food coloring in. If you are using the icing colors like I did, it doesn't take much.  I used a chop stick to get it in there.  Keep your marshmallows moving by stirring your color in. Once nicely blended, add 2 cups of cereal and mix it together.  Pour into baking dish and press evenly into the pan.  I usually spray my hands with PAM to stop the goop from sticking to my fingers. Wash your pot out and start all over again. 

2.  Repeat Step 1, except don't add any coloring.  This is your white layer.  

3.  Repeat step 1, except add red coloring.  I use the taste-less red.  I also thought it was going to come out pink, but it turned out rather nicely.  

4.  Eat. . . share if you want. . . enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...