Friday, July 19, 2013

So, you want to start a blog. . . {Part 1}

Last week, a couple of ladies expressed interest in starting their own blog and wanted a bit of help.  I started this blog almost 5 years ago and I am still learning a ton about the world of blogging.  So, before I share some things, I just want to forewarn you all that I am still learning.

I absolutely love blogging!  I love that people actually take time out of their busy days to read about my shenanigans, and sometimes they even comment. . . that's like a real celebration, right there!  Starting my blog was something that I thought for awhile after Ethan was born and I finally jumped right in.  I will confess it was a bit on the scary side.  I mean every time, I share something, I share a bit about myself for the whole world (don't worry, I don't have that many followers!).  But, it's my blog.  If you have that urge to share your life with your family, friends, and potentially people you have never heard of from places that you've only dreamed about traveling to, here are some helpful tips to get you started.

1.  Establish an objective for your blog. (Man, I sound like a teacher right there!) What do you want to write about?  Think about your hobbies, your adventures, your life.  Your blog will become your voice. . . your outlet.

2.  Think of a name for your blog.   I chose "Out of the right brain" because that is the creative side of the brain, the side that gets used most often in my life.  Get creative. . . you want people to remember it.  Maybe it's a favorite line from a poem, or a phrase from your favorite book or quote.  I also recommend doing a web search for your potential title because you want to make sure no one else out there is already using that as their blog or website name.

3.  Choose a host for your blog.  This will take some research.  I use blogger, but you can use whatever your heart desires.  Most of my knowledge comes from how Blogger works, so most of my tutorials will have to do with that.  But, do your research and see what works for you.
 
Here is what is out there that I would recommend:
 :: Blogger.  Blogger is really easy to navigate through and is connected with all your google accounts.  Since, I use gmail, all my login's are the same.  They also have a ton of formatting options for you to take your "blank sheet of paper" and make it your own!  It's also free.

:: Wordpress.  Also free.  This one, however, requires a download of their software onto your computer.

:: Tumblr.  I don't know too much about this one, but it is also free. I am not sure how much flexibility this one has but it is very trendy.

:: Typepad.  This one is one that I dream about switching over to in the future (It's just a dream). This one is NOT free, but it offers some amazing features that come with your fee.

Do your research.  Do what comes best for you.  Have fun!  I will try to have a new post up next week that will take you a few steps further.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...