Friday, March 22, 2019

Blueberry Rustic Pie

 Last week was insane.  Spring has sprung and so have our calendars!  Between looking for the right orthodontist and a good contractor for our bathroom project in between track practice, and other activities I was kind of going crazy.  But despite everything that was going on, I still wanted to make my husband some sort of pie-like thing or Pi Day.  Math is his jam and so in our house, we celebrate.  In between activities I blended up some flour and butter for some pie crust, threw it in the fridge and headed to the next thing.  When I got home after everything the filling took all of 5 minutes and off to the oven it went while we ate.  Seriously, so easy and such minimal effort and it came out so pretty.  Plus, I had these blueberries sitting in the fridge that were begging to be made into something yummy and this "pie" was the perfect recipe. 
 Besides being incredibly easy to make, rustic pies use very little dishes and are so impressive without doing a ton.  You could be super fancy and call this a gallette or you could even call it a crustada.  The cool thing is rustic pies are all of those.  I like to call them lazy pies becuase you don't have to worry about perfecting your pie crust skills and you just have to grab whatever fruit you have laying around for your filling and wham!  Just a few other ingredients an you have a pie. 
 This pie got rave reviews from my husband who was super excited when this popped out of the oven.  I was super impressed with the crust that was just a simple crust recipe I found on Pinterest.  Seriously, what would we do with that website!? 

Friends, I can't even tell you how excited I am about this recipe because most of it came from my brain and because I didn't have to run to the store for anything!  That's a big thing because I didn't have time and I am trying so hard to stay under budget for food this month.  I confess it's and area I struggle and I've been super diligent about how I use our budget and plan our meals this month that I think I just might make it.

This pie is doable.  Even on a minimal budget and no time to spare, this one is perfect for a last minute, show stopping dessert!
Blueberry Rustic Pie

Ingredients:
Pie Crust*
2 cups blueberries, rinsed
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 1/2 Tbsp coconut sugar
lemon juice
egg and water
Turbinado Sugar

Directions:
Make your pie crust and stick in the fridge, so it stays nice and cold.  Your butter needs to stay cold to help your crust be flakey. 

In a bowl, toss your blueberries in the corn starch, coconut sugar, and lemon juice. 
Roll out your dough into a circle on a floured surface.  Place dough round on your parchment lined baking sheet.  Carefully pour berries into the center of your round and fold edges toward center.  Leave most of the blueberries showing. This isnt a berry crunch wrap from Taco Bell.

In a small bowl, whisk together egg and some water.  Using a pastry brush, brush your egg wash over the sides of the pie crust and sprinkle with Turbinado Sugar. 

Bake in a preheated oven (350degrees) for 40-50 minutes.  Towards the end, you might want to raise your temp to 375 to help it get a little more golden. 

*I used this recipe for my crust.  But, you can totally cheat and use a store bought one.  I won't tell.  It saves you a step and it's still pretty good.  Just keep in the fridge until you need it. 

Happy Baking and Happy Late Pi Day!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...