Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Sour Cream Coffee Cake & and invite someone to the table

 Hello All.  It's Wednesday and I'll be honest with you. . . it feels like it should be Friday already.  The C-word hit our home this past weekend and everyone is sort of scattered.  Ethan and I are holding on for dear life praying it doesn't hit us, but also super thankful we are all vaccinated and it is seeming to be short lived with the other two.  It's also the last week of school for the oldest!  Goodbye 7th Grade! But most of all  been a really gut wrenching 2 weeks for our Nation and as a mom (and human being) my heart breaks.  Please go call your elected officials.  That's all I am going to say about that.  

And because I need to find something joyful to think about. . . or eat.  I am going to blog about this coffee cake that I made awhile back and has been sitting here waiting for me to post.  It's delicious.  It's beautiful.  It's not tricky and will impress your friends and the next brunch event or just make it and invite a friend over for coffee.  Seriously.  I challenge you to think of two local friends and invite them over for coffee and coffee cake.  Sit around the table and just chat about life.  Life is hard.  Crappy stuff happens and we need to lean into each other.  In Jennie Allen's book, Find Your People, she mentions a very staggering statistic: more than three in five Americans report being chronically lonely and that number is rising. The current state of the last 3 years doesn't help when a pandemic screams avoid people at all cost.  In fact, there has also been an increase in anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts and many of those stem from just feeling lonely. It turns out being lonely is actually bad for our health!  Just as much, if not more, that we need exercise and fruits and vegetables, we need people.  We need connection and conversation.  We need someone to join us at the table and listen and share with.  

There was a time, when I felt so alone.  It seemed like everyone was doing their thing, going to their jobs, hanging with their work peeps and I had my kids.  I spent a lot of time just sad because I felt like I was missing out but something changed as I sat around a table of ladies and realized I was not alone.  A friend and I decided that we would meet for coffee once a month and guess what. . . it's been 5 years and we're still meeting!  We skipped a few months here and there during the heat of the pandemic, but I am so thankful for that friendship.  It took being brave and trying something new.  Now. . . I just want to have coffee dates with all the people!  Whether we meet at a coffee shop, for lunch, or at my house, gathering around a table has been a sweet spot in my life.  Those feelings of loneliness still creep in, but somethings it's worth the risk to invite someone to coffee.  I double dog dare you to try it!  (why yes, I did go there!)

And just real quick. . . don't even worry about the state of your house.  Chances are if you're inviting another mom. . . there might be toys and dishes and laundry at their house too!  Don't let feelings of inadequacy stop you.  Be brave, friends, and ask!  

So, while you're making that list of people to ask, let me give you a recipe for the most delicious coffee cake!  

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
adapted from Bake from Scratch
 
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dairy free sour cream *
1/4 cup oat milk **
 
Almond Streusel:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch salt
3 Tbs melted butter
 
Glaze:
Dairy free cream cheese*
Oatmilk
Powdered Sugar
Vanilla (just a splash) 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.  Spray and line 9 inch cake round with baking spray and dust with flour. 
Whisk together dry ingredients and mix in wet ingredients until just combined (too much mixing will result in a more tough cake).  Pour into your pan an dset aside.  Sprinkle with almond streusel mixture. 
 
Bake for 35-40 minutes.  Test the center with a tooth pick or skewer. . . if it comes out clean you can take it out of the oven.  Let cool in pan for 15 minutes.  Carefully turn over onto plate.  Then place another plate over the top (which is actually the bottom of the coffee cake and flip over.  Continue cooling and mix together glaze.  I just sort of eyeballed the ingredients.  If you want more of a cream cheese flavor use more.  You're just making enough to drizzle over the top once it cools.  
 
Drizzle and serve, or set aside for the next morning for your brunch or coffee date.  
 
* Kite Hill Cream cheese and sour cream are my go-to for dairy free options. 
** I am a fan of Oatly oatmilk.  Others tend to have a more watered down consistency.  Also, shake before pouring!  
 
Enjoy!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...