Tuesday, June 21, 2022

embracing a summer of rest

 I loved summer as a kid.  Sleeping in, crazy amounts of screen time, bike rides, adventures.  But most of all, no school!  Growing up as a teacher’s kid, my mom had summers off along with us and somehow she always managed to make sure our summer was slow and quiet.  Occasionally, she would send us to my grandparents house in Wyoming while she taught summer school.  We lived our best lives watching Golden Girls reruns,eating instant oatmeal, and playing outside.  We also explored so much of the land between our home in hot, central California and my grandparent house is Wyoming.  We played in creek beds, climbed rocks at Vidavu (it's a real place. . .check it out!), went camping and devoured my grandma’s stash’s of Schwan’s pizzas and drumsticks (ice cream. . . not KFC. . . ha ha!).  We loved summer.

I don’t remember it being a season of busy.  It was slow and long and by the time school began again, we were ready to take on the next school year.  Fast Forward to life now and I honestly don’t remember being so busy during the school year. . . I probably was because I did it all.  I do, however, believe that expectations have changed on what we expect from the youth of our future than when we were kids and we will probably pay the consequences for it when they become adults (but that’s a thought for another day).  Maybe it was the quiet of the Pandemic that really opened my eyes for the need to slow down our kids or maybe it’s always just been in the back of my mind.  This most recent school year was wonderful in so many ways.  Our junior higher started a new school and just did amazing and our 11 year old adjusted back into the swing of elementary school.  We were back and in person.  Sports were back, clubs were back and we just jumped right in!  It was exciting and it felt amazing to be back making new mom friends.  By the time school let out for the year, it was very clear to us all: We were pooped!  We were 100 percent exhausted.

There were conversations.  Our kids were included.  We needed some time to slow down and just be. We made the decision together to say no to some things.

A few weeks before school let out, this big, shiny book was sent home with our 5th grader listing all theses amazing camps he could do this summer for free.  From robotics to sports, he could have an amazing summer.  Another mom friend asked me what camps I was signing up my 7th grader and I was like “None.” I know I probably got some looks, but I didn’t care.  We even made some hard decisions to say no to our church summer camp.  We were tired and looking for a break.  

This summer (as with most of ours, because the truth of the matter is we try to embrace this every summer. . . It’s just more noticeable this year than others) we are slowing down.  We are binge watching Once Upon a Time, playing video games, and reading books.  We are soaking in family time and enjoying not having to wake up and be someplace each day (except for the occasional orthodontist appointment, of course!). I am soaking every minute with these two boys because they are growing up quicker than I would like to admit and life is busy.  

Rest is important. Let's be honest and admit that sometimes it's hard to let go of the busy.  We don't want to miss out on those things.  But also, let's recognize that not all busy is bad.  Ethan said yes to serving at our church VBS and I said yes to leading a Bible Study and a book club.  We also said yes to vacation. . . because I'm an enneagram 7 raising at least one enneagram 7 and adventure and traveling brings us joy and life.  And after reading my words, don't feel guilty for saying yes to camp or the things that bring you joy.  This is my story.  You have yours.  

I could post so many reasons why rest is important, but I will let you in on a secret that most of world knows but us in America.  Rest needs to be valued.  Take that vacation time, spend time with your family.  So something that brings you joy.  Binge watch that show.  Read that book.  Open the Bible.  Play Uno and catch fireflies (I am living on the wrong side of the US for that!).  

However you spend your summer months, I do want to encourage you to try taking a week to slow down and embrace rest.  Don't worry as much about screen time or what you are missing out on, bust take time to savour the moment where not much is going on.  There are some sweet treasures in the quiet of the slow down.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...