Monday, January 28, 2013

Adventures in Gardening: Starting out!

I ma so excited!  My wonderful hubby is building me some fantastic planter boxes.  This is a project that we have been talking about for a couple of years.  I am so excited that he's getting into it.  He even did research and designed my boxes.  I am so proud of him!  I also love that my kids have been involved with this project.  

Ethan helped me clear out the majority of the weeds and grass that was growing is an empty section of our backyard.  He did such a great job. . . especially since it was sooo cold the week we worked on it!
Once we got the area clear, we laid down a barrier that allows moisture to go through, but doesn't let the weeds go through.  Ethan thought this was cool.  We put rocks in the corner, because that's where the water comes off our patio when it rains.  
Weston loved helping put rocks in the corner, especially since as the ice was melting that morning, water had been collecting in that corner, so now there was a big puddle.  Splash!  (Yes. . . water and dirt make 2 very happy boys!)
 Here is the first planter (we are waiting on tax money to do the other two).  We used redwood and didn't treat it.  Have I mentioned lately, how much I love the boys that God has blessed me with?  It is so much fun being able to include the whole family in this project.  And look, Can you see that I have lemons? It's my favorite time of the year!
We moved the box in over the top of the barrier. . . 
 and filled it with rocks.  We happen to have a section of yard that the previous owners filled with rocks (which we are planning on changing anyways), so we put a small layer of rocks to help with the water drainage.  We also made a barrier along the sides so dirt can't escape from the bottom.

 Then we filled it with some organic soil made specially for vegetable gardens.  It took 2 containers to fill up, but now that it's been about 2 weeks it has definitely settled about 2 inches.  We will probably add more soon.
 Here are some of my baby seedlings.  It's too cold for them to stay outside all night, so they get a bath and sun during the day.  They are growing beautifully!  I can't wait to show you!  I chose to plant my seeds in egg shells because they are compostable and I will just be able to stick them in the soil.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...