Thursday, August 07, 2014

Peach Cobbler deliciousness

 We survived the second to last week of Summer vacation.  It helped that it wasn't 110 outside. We actually celebrated seeing it at 99 one day.  We even joked that we would have to bring out the sweatshirts (ha ha ha).  We hung out with friends and ate free Jamba Juice and saw my parents, who were back from their very long 2 month summer trek (our fridge has the postcards to prove it!).  This week, the hubby even brought up the fact that I haven't baked a single cookie all summer.  In fact, I haven't done much baking at all. 

 So, this afternoon, I had a crazy thought. . . why  not make some cobbler?  And wouldn't they look cute in those jars I bought for this?  So I spent some time (really, it was a lot) perusing Pinterest and searching for just the right recipe.   I didn't want a huge batch, just enough to fill up a couple jars.  I finally found this one, and decided to play with it a bit.  I really wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, especially since I opted not to add butter, decreased the sugar, and substituted almond milk.  Sometimes it doesn't work because recipes thrive on the milk fat.  But this worked.  And it worked beautifully.  It may have even been better because of the sweet, vanilla flavor of the almond milk (pure speculation, of course!).  It even tasted wonderful with some So Delicious Coconut Milk Vanilla Bean ice "cream".  I may also be obsessed now with baking desserts in cute jars.  Don't judge.  





Amazing Peach Cobbler
adapted from here

Ingredients:
3 heaping cups of sliced peaches (I didn't peel mine)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs flour
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs shortening
1/2 cup Vanilla Almond Milk
cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425.
Slice your peaches. I recommend cutting them into 1 inch chunks if you are going to be making them in jars or ramekins.  Sprinkle sugar and flour into your bowl of peaches.  Toss to coat.  Drizzle with lemon juice (Confession: I didn't measure mine).  Set aside.  Sugar will help release the natural juices in the peaches.
In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.  Toss with a fork.  Add shortening and stir with a fork until light and crumbly.  Pour in almond milk and stir until it looks like you could make biscuits. . . it will be almost in a ball.
Spoon peaches into your jars (or pour into a 9x9 inch baking dish).  Take a spoon full of dough and spread it out the size of your ramekin and press it in to cover.  Or just put spoonfuls all over the top of your peaches, if you are making in one dish.

Put your ramekins/jars on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper (you will thank me for this. . . as some of the juices will bubble out the top).  Stick in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.

Mine made about 7-8 little jars.  They were the perfect serving, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...