Wednesday, March 08, 2017

On feeling overwhelmed.

This post is about being overwhelmed. 

I said it.

Overwhelmed.

Raise your hand if you're overwhelmed. Don't lie. (I am raising my hand sooo high right now. . . trust me.  It's raised!) There's a ton of stuff to get done. There are kids.  Messes.  Food.  Legos (LOTS of legos!). Laundry.  Projects.  Schedules.   It can all be overwhelming.  Life in general can be overwhelming.

This is NOT a bad thing.    

It happens.  It's a part of life.  It's not necessarily bad, because we all have it and often times it can't be helped.  Sometimes, it sometimes feels like you are hanging there waiting for someone to catch you.  And sometimes it doesn't feel like anyone is there to catch you. 
But there is.  We have a God who hold our hands as we walk through the hard, messy, and overwhelming.  Our mess and overwhelming feelings may not be the same as our friend next door, but we all have these feelings.  We have a God who will catch us when we fall down.  It's pretty cool! 

This week, I was trying to get at least one day done for Bible Study (As a table leader, it is probably a good idea that I come prepared).  Last week, we were on vacation, so I was super behind.  Then, I read 2 Sam. 22.  It's a song that David sung to the Lord after he had been rescued from some pretty terrible things and after he had messed up a bunch of times (Isn't in nice to know that the man that was titled a man after God's own heart messed up.  I find that so refreshing!). 

I am in no means being chased by my enemies.  But, when I am overwhelmed the arrows of insecurity and my anger come flying at me and I know that I have to protect myself.  I was reminded that we can cry out to God and he will hear us and help us.   He will help us when we are overwhelmed. 
Maybe you are overwhelmed by more than just a mess and schedules.  Maybe there's just some crazy stuff going on in and you just don't know where to start or those things that are overwhelming you are out of your control. I wish I could just wrap my arms around you and give a hug.  Know that I am praying for you, dear, sweet reader. 

Today, I am reminding myself this:
I don't have to do it all.  In fact, I can't.  There just aren't enough hours to get it done.  I can get the important things done.  I can be okay with imperfection.  I can trust that God has my back.  
Here are some of the ways that I deal with my overwhelming moments:

1.  Go to God's Word. 
This is probably my favorite one and probably for some reason one that I don't do as often as I should.  The time where I dig into the Bible is in the evening (I am a night owl, so it suits me).  However, I have found that by doing a small devotional in the mornings or choosing a verse for the day or week to till on as I go about my business really helps those feeling. If you aren't sure where to start. . . go look up 2 Samuel 22.  It will encourage you!  

2.  Make a list.  
When my lists get long and crazy, I separate them into categories:

Around the House
Creative
If I have time

Then, when I know what I am focusing on and get to it.  I also sometimes put it on the fridge so I see it whenever I walk by.  It helps keep me focused. 

3.  Blast Music. 
Music is a wonderful thing.  A friend last year shared how she turns those mundane household tasks into opportunities for worship.  Blare some Worship Music.  Create a playlist that gets you moving.  My favorites are some worhsip and Disney music.  I also listen to podcasts to help me focus. 

4.  Avoid the TV.  The TV sucks you in.  Save the TV for a reward for getting some things done.  Or save it for when you are tackling that mountain of laundry.  I love a good chick flick and laundry!

5.  Take 15-30 minutes.
Before I take on the day, I make myself a cup of coffee, sit down, find a verse, and pray about the day. . . this kind of goes along with point 1. Find that time to just give yourself.  On days where I am home all day, I walk the kids to school, work out, eat breakfast, and have my coffee time in the office.  It has become one of my favorite times of the day. 

6.  Set the timer.  
Speed Cleaning is one of my favorite and most productive ways to get through each rooms.  This is what I am doing today.  I think a bomb might have exploded while we were on vacation.  But, I know when I am focused, even if for a short time, it's amazing what can get accomplished.

What is overwhelming you today?  How do you handle your overwhelming days?
 




2 comments:

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...