Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Pumpkin Spice Cake

 Some days call for cake.  I mean, there are some days where cake makes everything better.  There are days where we just need to celebrate something.  I tend to not make a lot of cakes just because they are sooo big and we eat it once or twice and the rest just goes to waste. I really like small cakes that are just for snacking.  Super simple.  One bowl.  No frosting.  Just mix, bake, cool, devour. 

Last week, I got brave and decided to make a cake. . . on instagram.  Some of you may have tuned in.  It was the first day of fall and there was a can of pumpkin puree just screaming: "MAKE SOMETHING!!!"  So, I dug out a recipe binder I started in college and found this recipe that I thought was already on the blog.  It wasn't.  Bummer for everyone (until now) because it's kind of amazing.  This recipe took under 5 minutes to whip up the batter and stick in the oven.  One bowl cakes are the best!  I've made this recipe for new mom's because it's easy, you can go buy small pans that you don't have to worry about getting back, and it's really, really good. 

If you wanted to take it a step further, you could easily make a cream cheese  frosting.  That would be wonderful.  But, that's another bowl to clean and well. . . do you really want to go down that road? Really, dust it with some powdered sugar, top with some cool whip.  Maybe even sprinkles some pumpkin pie spice or nutmeg if you want to impress someone. 

If you need some music to play, I highly recommend this one that I found.  I blame our pastor for putting the words to the hymn Amazing Love up on the screen.  Now, I can't get it out of my head and so many of them were soooooo slow and totally not my style.  But this one.  It's good.  Go listen to it. 

 Pumpkin Spice Cake
adapted from Taste of Home

 Ingredients:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 TBS sugar
3 egg whites
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup light corn syrup
2 TBS molasses
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Directions:
Mix the ingredients together.  Pour into a greased 8 or 9inch pan.  Bake at 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

 ** If you are looking for a dairy free option for cool whip or whipped cream, you can find this stuff at Spouts or Whole Foods. . . I don't recommend the lite version. . . it's kind of ick! but the regular stuff has that cool whip texture and taste, with a hint of coconut. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...