Wednesday, September 05, 2018

No Sew Table Bench Cushion Tutorial

 Last week we had a spurt of some cooler temperatures and while it was just a teaser of the cooler temps coming (it's back into the hundreds this week), it is making us spend more time playing outside (we don't have a pool and aren't really feeling the desire to move or build a pool and loose our yard).  We noticed that the bench Jon build a few years ago that sits at our table, was starting to get a little sticky.  Wood. . . sap. . . kind of a downside.  The towel we put there temporarily just wasn't that pretty to the eyes and I wasn't finding anything that really worked in that space.  So, I decided to get creative and make my own. 
When we found our table a few years ago, we only were able to find 4 of the metal chairs that I had wanted.  It worked out because they stay fairly shaded and cool.  Metal chairs plus hot summer sun. . . not pleasant.  So we I mean Jon built a bench for me to go in that space and I love it.  I always wanted to put a cushion on top, but never found one that fit or looked good in the spot. So, when it started seeping sap this year, we knew we had to do something so I gathered all sorts of JoAnns coupons and went shopping. 
I found some a roll of outdoor foam that was on sale for 50% off (happy dance!) and found some outdoor fabric that matched our outdoor patio couch and chair cushions.  I already had a bunch of glue sticks and so I headed home and got to work. 
 First, I cut the foam on the bench.  It wasn't perfectly straight (shh. . . it's our little secret!).  Then I placed it on my fabric (right side down) and cut it down to how much I would need. Any extra in the end, I trimmed at the end.  Better to have too much at first then not enough and having to rebuy the fabric. 
 Squirt glue on 6 inch segments over the edge and start bring up your fabric and pressing down.  Making sure it's pulled tight and cool.  Move on to the next 6 inch section repeating the same thing until you are finished with the side.  Hot glue doesn't take long to cool and get hard, so you want to make sure you are gluing the fabric to the foam at it's highest temp so it will stay secure.  Fabric (and pretty much everything else) doesn't stick one the glue starts to cool and harden.

When you get to the corners, pretend like you are wrapping a gift and fold the fabric in and then bring up. 
 The last is glue the last long piece all the way across the foam to where you first started gluing.  You want it to overlap.  Keep following the 6inch maximum glue line and pull your fabric tight and secure in the glue.  Trip the edges so you don't have any sticking out and it looks clean.  Then go stick on the bench and enjoy your new cushion.  Also, pat yourself on the back!  You did it! 


I love this fabric so much!  Our rug on the other side is navy blue and white chevron, so the nautical ropes are a good match.  I also love the contrast with the dark brown stain of our table and bench!  It's also a lot more comfy to sit on too! 

You can find the fabric and foam at JoAnns craft stores. 
Our table top fire pit is seriously the best thing! You can find it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...