Thursday, May 16, 2019

Biscuits your kids will fight over!

Summer is so close and I am already counting down to the last day of school and checking off end of the year projects. I'm pooped!  Who's with me.  Then the Holderness Family posted this today and I'm like YES!!!!  So, I'm sending your all high fives and reminding you (and me) that we can finish this school strong and then celebrate summer.

Obviously, I am exhausted.  I've been busy playing taxi and doing all the things that dinners have been kind of funky lately.  I haven't menu planned in weeks and it's hitting hard.  My husband has been doing some workshop things a few nights a month and when he's gone, I don't really cook.  So, we eat eggs since he doesn't and one of our favorite things is egg, sausage (or bacon) and cheese biscuits.  Super easy because I make these biscuits ahead of time and they freeze amazingly!  Because of this, I can keep biscuits stashed in the freezer for quick breakfasts and dinners.  Also, they are so good, that my husband has been breaking into my stash when I do a veggie based dinner.  Each time he eats one he tells me they are "Amazing" and "Best Biscuits EVER!" These biscuits are so handy to have on hand that I will probably definitely keep these on my regular freezer stash rotation.
These really are the best muffins and it is so worth it to have these stashed in your freezer for a quick meal or to add to a dinner at the end of the month when you're getting low on options.  I'm not going to lie, these have saved us on more than one occasion and so flaky and delicious you will seriously fight over the last one!  In fact, we have 3 left in the freezer and I know that I need to make another batch next week that I'm wondering how long I can make the last 3 last?  hmmm.  Probably not for long because now I am hungry for one of these biscuits!  Keep scrolling down for the recipe and make some. . . I promise you, you will be so glad you did! 
Buttermilk Biscuits
adapted from Bake from Scratch

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups frozen, unsalted butter
2 cup buttermilk*
2 Tbsp butter melted

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients with a whisk.  Taking one stick of butter out at a time, grate the frozen butter with a hand grater.  Do all three sticks and then use a fork and cut frozen butter into the flour.  Use your fingers to smoosh the butter into the flour, if necessary.  If butter starts to get really soft, stick your bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes and then continue.  The colder the butter, the flakier the biscuit.  Slowly, add in butter and stir it together. 

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and put the dough on top.  Spread and flatten out with your hand. . . no need for a roller here (that's just one more thing to wash and why bother when you can just use your hands?).  Try to keep it at about 1 inch thick.  Use a round glass to cut out your biscuit rounds and place on lined baking sheet 2 inches apart.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes (but I don't. . . I am so impatient and they still turn out wonderful). 

Brush tops of uncooked biscuits with melted butter an dbake for 18-20 minutes. 

Serve warm or place on baking sheet and flash freeze for 2 hours and then place in a freezer safe bag or container and store in the freezer.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...