Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Making Space for Creativity

This morning as I type this, I am breathing deep, deep breaths and reminding myself that it’s worth the mess to update a very outdated kitchen.  My house is fully covered in white dust and the laundry piles are high from post vacation laundry.  The youngest (who is still on independent study from our trip) and I have escaped to Starbucks to work.  He is working on his independent study and I am catching up on writing.  It feels good to sit and write.  It feels good to be creative. 

We all have to-do lists that feel like they grow at lightning speed.  Before we check a few things off, more is added and there is simply not enough hours to get it all done in a day.  Whether you are a full time employee to a SAHM, the same thing exists:  We are tired and busy.  Yet, we all need to take time to be creative. 

 I’ve shared the story many times that people assumed I would get rid of my crafting supplies once Ethan was born because suddenly having a baby would prevent me from doing creative things?  That is such a lie that we don’t need to believe.  When I was a teacher, I was just as busy, but nobody looked at me like I was crazy when I took an afternoon to just make some cards or bake some cookies. I think a lot has changed in the last 13 years with the rise of social media.  People are being creative EVERYWHERE!  Women are hitting up Lowes and Home Depot and building things, quilting and sewing is not your grandma’s hobby anymore! Same with stitching.  Just one look at some Etsy listings and you can see that people are making money off some of their creations!  Creativity is everywhere! 

 We need to make space for it. 

 Just like reading our Bible and moving our body, being creative means carving out a space for it.  This is not easy, but taking the time to be creative is so good for our physical and emotional health (you can read about that here). 

Let’s ask ourselves some questions:

:: In my free time each day, what is non-negotiable? What things do I have to do every day.  For me, opening the Bible and moving my body and if I can, I want to read. If we want to take the time to be creative and see how that changes our mindset/mental health, we need to add that to our top priorities. Is there a time I can make open to do something creative? 

 :: What brings me joy?  No, we are not going to Marie Kondo your time. . . Don’t worry.  But, what creative things bring you joy.  Drawing? Cooking?  Sculpting?  Decorating? Painting? Knitting? Coloring? The options are endless. 

:: How do I fit it in my daily or weekly routine?  This is where it gets hard.  It’s easy to speak, “I want to do something creative as often as possible,” but a bit harder to put it into practice.  Just like we make every effort in our day to move our bodies, drink enough water, make our bed (or not. . . Like I said, judgement free zone here!), and maybe, spend some time with God.  It’s not easy.  It is easy to plop down on the cushiony couch, nestled between some cozy pillows, and surf Netflix for the latest episode of Sweet Magnolias (100% guilty here!).  It really does take some time to make it a habit.  It takes about a month of doing something consistently for it to become a natural part of your routine. 

 :: Do I have to do a big project every day?  ABSOLUTELY NOT!  It took Michelangelo more than three years to sculpt the famous David.  Find something you can work on a little bit every day.  I have several works in progress at one time.  I sew a few squares of a quilt when I have a few extra minutes or I sit down (Sweet Magnolias, please) and do some cross stitching.  Sometimes, the extent of my daily creativity is simply making dinner for my family.  Other times, it is opening a Paper Pumpkin box (I used to subscribe to their monthly kits and didn’t have time to do them all. . . I have a stash!) and making some cards.  Other times, It might be painting the hallway or restyling a shelf that needed a refresh. 

 How do I find out what my creative passions are?  I love Pinterest.  It’s is such a great place to find inspiration and tutorials (which is good, because I want to make some macrame key chains and I don’t know how! True story).   Now, this is where you need to lean in close and promise not to throw something at me.  Simply pinning things to a curated board to things you like is NOT BEING CREATIVE.  That’s just admiring and acknowledging the things you’re interested in.   We need to pick a pin and try it out.  Save that 40 percent off coupon and head to your local craft store and buy just enough supplies to try it out. Start with a small project and don't spend a lot of money on it. You don't want to waste money on something you really didn't enjoy. Maybe invite a friend to try making something with you. . . What ever makes it fun for you! 

 Try getting creative a few times this month and see what it does for your spirit!  I promise, you won’t regret it!  To get you inspired, I am going to leave you with a list of just a few creative ideas to get you going, but I promise you, there is more! 

 Sewing.stamping.scrapbooking.quilting.embroidery.cross stitch. Macreme.leatherwork.latte art.cooking.baking.writing.drawing.digitalart.pottery.painting.water coloring.styling.decorating.designing.jewelry making.lego building.bulletin board making.furniture building, wall painting.friendship bracelet.rubber band bracelets.landscaping.knitting.crocheting.letterpressing.screenprinting.print making.lettering.wool felting.

And there’s a bunch of other things too! 

 
Take a risk by making space for creating.  I promise you, you won’t regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...