Monday, August 13, 2012

The carrot seed week

Confession: this post has been loaded for 3 weeks!  Seriously slacking here on this end.  VBS was last week, and honestly standing  out in the triple digit heat all day morning wore me out.  I was in charge of all the elementary games and it's hot here. . . really hot.  In fact, on Friday, it's was supposed to be over 108!    So, I did a lot of vegging in the afternoons while the kiddos were napping.   Okay, so that was a lot of rambling.  Then my wonderful husband whisked me off to the beach for the day. . . I got to wear a sweatshirt. . . AWESOME!  So, I am going to focus. . . finish this post . . and go cuddle with my almost- 4 year old and my feverish 18 month old.

I am really enjoying this phase in life with my boys where I get to use my education background.  It's a lot of fun seeing Ethan's love for books and learning grow daily.  A few weeks ago, we spent some time with the book, The Carrot Seed.  It's a fantastic book based on the simplicity of a little boy planting a carrot seed and everyone telling him it won't grow.  But, despite all the "it won't grow"'s he heard, he kept weeding and watering until he had a gigantic carrot to share.  It's a great book for kids to hear over and over again.  Not only for the perseverance theme but also because it is so simply written and illustrated that it is easy for a preschooler to start retelling the story themselves.

We also added the book, Carrot Soup into our carrot activities.  Lots of fun! We did a lot of art projects as well as reviewing the letter c.  Here are some of the fun things we did this week.

Handprint Carrot: Trace their hand and arm all the way to their elbow.  Then have your child paint it with tempera paint.  You can also paint their arm and hand and do a hand print carrot, which is what I wanted to do, but Ethan wouldn't let me put paint on his hands. 
Baby Carrot Writing Practice: We used baby carrots and practiced writing our C's and our name. 

M&M Carrots: I found the printable here.  It was a lot of fun!  A great way to sort M&M's and a great excuse for chocolate in the morning. 
Carrot Painting:  We painted with baby carrots instead paintbrushes. 
We also painted with Carrot stems. . . If you can't find any at your local grocery store, I found some amazing  Organic ones at Whole Foods!
Word Book Page:  We just started our word book.  So, we glued some construction pieces of paper down to make a carrot and then he wrote the word (I had it written on a wipe board so he could see what it looked like. )
Carrot Muffins:  I will post this recipe soon!  They were good!  
More Carrot Painting


Okay, so those were our Carrot Activities.  We had so much fun. . . I highly recommend it! I hope to be back tomorrow with another blog post. . . wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...