Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cranberry Orange Scones. . . mmmmmm good!

Today I saw the sun for the first time in several days.  It was only out for a bit, but we celebrated!  I kind of miss it!  It's been dreary and cloudy with a little bit of mist but absolutely no rain.  Give me clouds any day, as long as they are filled with rain!  Overcast days make me want to curl up with my new book and drink hot tea curled up in a warm quilt.  Anyone else?

Unfortunately, the boys need my attention and work needs to get done and so I made these guys.  I think Weston ate two one morning!  If the boys eat them, I would say they are a hit!  All taste testers seemed to really enjoy them!  They were so moist and flaky and since I make mine in the food processor, they really aren't' that much work.  And because I have a headache and some cookies that need to get out of the oven, I am going to let these pictures do all the talking! I will warn you, you are really going to want to make these today.  Maybe even for dinner.   Or for a fun breakfast treat in the morning. . . it is Friday afterall!





Orange Cranberry Scones
adapted from Ina Garten

Ingredients:
2 cups plus 2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 Tbsp orange zest
6 Tbsp butter, cold and diced
2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup whipping cream for brushing the tops
sugar sprinkles*, or just sugar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. orange juice

Directions:
Preheat to 375. 

Get your food processor all set up.  Pour in dry ingredients.  Pulse a couple of times to get them all mixed up.  Add cold butter pieces.  Mine stay in the freezer until I am ready to use them. Pulse until butter is cut into flour and the size of peas.  Add eggs, cream, and pulse some more until a soft dough forms.  Add cranberries and pulse until mixed.  

Take dough out onto a floured surface.  Knead into a ball and roll out to about a 3/4 inch circle.  Cut out triangles or use a cookie cutter to cut out simple shaped scones.  Move to stone or silpat lined pan and brush with whipping cream.  Sprinkle with sugar or sprinkles and bake for 20-25 minutes. 

*I get like these sprinkles and try to keep them on hand.  They really add the perfect touch to scones, muffins, and cookies.  They are pretty inexpensive on amazon, but even cheaper with a Michael's or JoAnns coupon.  

**The original recipe was for twice as much and used a basic egg wash.  So, feel free to double the batch if you want a lot. . . I didn't.  One batch made enough to feed my family for a couple days of breakfasts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...