Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Memorize Scripture and have fun doing it!

 I got an email last summer from my sweet friend asking me to think of serving in a different way for this year's Bible Study.  I had been a table leader for years and I love it.  Encouraging the women at my table as they dig deep into God's word has been just a sweet thing.  So, when she asked me to handle our Bible memory portion of the study I kind of had a Moses moment.  Seriously.  Me?  I am so bad at memorizing scripture.  I really wasn't sure she had the right person.  But, I felt that nudge to do it, which could only come from the Holy Spirit. . . and well, I love it!  I am having so much fun encouraging these ladies to not only dig into God's Word, but to hide it in their hearts in a creative and fun way.  Bible Memory is NOT boring!  Well, at least it doesn't have to be. 

Can I confess something?

I have always hated memorizing scripture.  Give me details about a story and I can memorize them easily, but word for word repetition.  Not my strongest thing.  Memorizing Shakespeare soliloquies for English classes was my ABSOLUTE least favorite thing to do!  So, when I said yes, I got to work researching ways to make this something that ladies would want to do.  Key word:  WANT.

Scripture memory has to be something you want to do.  Psalm 119 is a really long psalm all about delighting in God's Word.  Verse 11, says the writer hides His word in his heart so that he doesn't sin against God.  I've been reading a little more out of the CSB version and it uses the word treasures.  Right there.  If we desire to be women who love God, who radiate his beauty and grace, we really need to be living out this verse in our lives.  The word treasure brings a new picture into my mind and makes me think about what things I'm treasuring in heart.  Are they taking up the room that should be filled with God's Word?  I know I am so guilty of this!

So, how do we do this? How do we change our mindset to desire this discipline?  Let me share with you some tips that will definitely grow you in this area. . . if you want it.

1.  Start small.  Pick a verse that encourages you.  It doesn't even have to be a long one.  Maybe a little longer than "Jesus wept" though.  Don't make it so long that it overwhelms you.  We just memorized Isaiah 43:19 as a group and it was a verse our whole church was challenged to do.  I have a friend who can memorize entire books of the Bible and it's awesome.  It's also her way of staying sane as a mom to 4 small kids.  She doesn't set out to memorize the whole thing at once. . . she takes it verse by verse.  If you are looking for a starting point, one of my favorites is  Proverbs 3:5-6, because it's all about trusting God and I always need that reminder.

2.  Set a time line & get accountability.  Make your end goal and find someone to recite it to.  Maybe it's your husband or your best friend, but ask someone to keep you accountable.  Break the verse into sections and focus on it piece by piece slowly adding the next section of the verse as you master the previous.  I remember one summer at camp, we were given a page with a whole mess of verses on it to memorize for team points.  We would quickly memorize a verse, recite to the counselor and go on to the next verse.  I'll be honest with you, none of those verses stuck.  They were forgotten as quickly as they were memorized.  The longer you spend memorizing the verse, the deeper into your heart it is carved.

3.  Don't Get Discouraged.  Let me just say that Satan would much rather you fill your heart up with lyrics from The Greatest Showman (not necessarily a bad thing) instead of your verse.  Lies like "I'm too old" or "I don't have time to juggle this too!" will be strong.  Keep pressing in.  Remind yourself that you still have the phone number memorized from your childhood home and memorizing scripture will make you a better mom, co-worker, wife, and friend.

4.  Know your learning style.  This is something I never really paid attention to until I went to school to be a teacher.  We all learn using different methods.  Some of you might learn better by hearing things out loud, so repeating the verse over and over out loud, or recording it and then playing it back, might be really effective for you.  Other's might find more success by reading it over and over or writing it down.  Once you find what works for you,  Go with it.  Have fun!

5.  Post it everywhere.  I like to type my verse out and make it look pretty with graphics and fonts because I know that if it's pretty, I am more likely to pay attention.  I then post it everywhere like the bathroom mirror, the window above the kitchen sink, my computer.  I even use the app Typorama and make screen images for my phone.  I seriously put it everywhere!

6.  Type it out.  Take some time and type it on the computer over and over.  Or download the game Scripture Typer on your phone and play that.  So much fun and it really does help you memorize it! 

7.  Color.  Coloring isn't just for relaxing or for kids.  Find some fun markers and type out your verse in Microsoft Word and make your font outlined and print it out.  Or even better, search Pinterest for some coloring sheets that others have made available.  You could even buy a Margaret Feinberg book and work your way through the verses she uses in there.  It's a great way for you to take the time to memorize and pray your chosen verse on your life or for the people in your life.

8.  Try the 10-10-3 method.  This method helps you to use several learning styles to further carve the verse into your heart.  Read it 10 times to yourself.  Say it out loud 10 times.  Write it 3 times.  Easy Peasy.

9.  Give journaling a try.  Bible Journaling has become quite the phenomonon and while I can't bring myself to painting or going crazy in my Bible, I do keep a notebook for verses.  It's a fun way to practice journaling and get a little bit creative.  Don't be afraid to pull out the watercolors.

10.  Play a game.  Type up your verse and cut into pieces or leave some words out.  Anything that helps you carving that verse into your heart nice and deep works!  Pinterest has tons of ideas!  You can even come up with hand motions! 

11.  Reward yourself.  Maybe a sweet treat that you wouldn't normally buy or a new set of markers.  It doesn't have to be expensive, but treat yourself to something fun when you get your verse memorized. I've been making cupcakes for the ladies in my study, and they are so brave by coming up and saying their verse in front of 40 women!

The goal is to memorize scripture.  It shouldn't feel like a chore, it should be fun!  It will take work and won't simply come through osmosis (darn it!).  Don't get discouraged and quit.  Keep trying and find encouragement in treasuring God's word in your heart!

Do you have any other ideas?  I would love to hear them!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...