Friday, March 02, 2018

Lemon Ricotta Pasta Salad {Dairy Free}

 Is it just me, or was this week really long?  I woke up yesterday, totally thinking that it was Friday, and the realization left me completely disappointed until I ordered my favorite Starbucks drink.  Sometimes starting your day with a little treat is necessary, especially when you are about to tackle grocery shopping. . . in the rain.  So, here we are well into our Friday afternoon and it is still raining.  One kid even took advantage of shooting some hoops in the rain after school.  There is no complaining here because I love it and we are in need of it!  My plants are so happy!

Right now I am fighting every urge to go throw on my comfy clothes and snuggle under a blanket with a good book.  . . or movie. . . or both.  I am not picky!

But first,  we should have a little talk about this recipe.  I remember making this pasta back before we were home owners.  Back before we were parents.  Back, when I was just a newly married gal wanting to make her hubby delicious things. Back when my body said dairy was cool.  I'm not sure which magazine I found it in (it was either Food Network or Rachael Ray), but I know it was from the fabulous brain of Rachael Ray and most of her recipes have been really good. 

I haven't made this since because not long after I made this recipe, I got pregnant, had gestational diabetes (goodbye carbs), had Ethan and then had to say goodbye to dairy for good (darn hormones!).  Anywhoo, the past year on so, I feel like there have been amazing new products that make me feel like having a dairy allergy is not so bad.  More expensive, but not so bad. 

Let me start by saying, this blog post is not endorsed by anyone, any company.  It's just me, sharing a recipe, with a product that I love.  Kite Hill is a company out of Northern California that is really breaking grounds in plant based deliciousness.  I have been impressed with everything they have come out with.  Seriously.  I am even sad that they stopped making their brie (Yes, you read that right. . . brie).  One of their products is Ricotta and can I just say how wonderful it is to be able to make lasagna and other cheesey dishes, when using the real deal will make you sick?  I used the ricotta for this recipe and no one noticed that it wasn't dairy free.  My 9 year old gobbled it down and even took some in his lunch the next day!  Can we say win!!!  

So, let's commence the drool fest.


 Drooling yet? This recipe is perfect for a quick dinner (maybe with some grilled chicken), or a show stopping side dish to take to your Easter gathering.  The addition of lemon zest just screams spring!   All you need is some delicious pasta (we like this brand and stock up at Eataly or this brand from Whole Foods. ).  I know it's weird, but the quality of pasta you get will make your recipe just a step up.  From there, you just add some Kite Hill Ricotta, toast some pine nuts, zest a lemon, and julienne some basil.  Seriously easy and just as good for leftovers. 

Lemon Ricotta Pasta Salad
adapted from Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
1 package of pasta (I used rotini)
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup of pine nuts, toasted
1 package of Kite Hill Ricotta Cheese
1/2 cup (or more) fresh basil, julienned
Lemon zest from 2 lemons
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Cook pasta according to the directions on the package.  Drain and toss in olive oil.  Add in cheese, pine nuts, basil and lemon zest.  Toss and then add in salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe is super easy to half (it's what I did for a family of 4, and we had a little bit left over.)

Happy Cooking! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...