Thursday, April 05, 2018

Chocolate Krispy Popcorn

 Spring Break was last week and I'll be honest.  I miss it.  I loved having my boys home, going on adventures, and just hanging out.  I feel like we couldn't fit everything in, like playing Ethan's new game, Dos.  (Side bar:  Has anyone played the new game by the makers of Uno?) Anyways, I miss it and am thinking of  starting my own secret countdown until Summer vacation. 

But, besides all the fun we had, I also got to experiment in the kitchen a bit.  One of our usual Easter week traditions has always been to watch Hop and I make Hop corn, but since I have yet to find a white chocolate maker that doesn't feel the need to load it with soy, I needed to make something new and quick for our afternoon movie (we red boxed Ferdinand), and this was it!   It was so simple and genius and I had everything in my pantry!  Also, I should note that I was totally inspired by a popcorn book I picked up at the library.  I think it was this one. I made some changes to her original recipe because of what I had in the fridge, and well. . . soy and dairy can't be in it if Weston wants to eat it and it came out so good!  We loved it!

We loved it so much that I'm sharing it with you because you should make it, and maybe redbox a movie and have a family movie night. . . I recommend a movie night next week when The Greatest Showman comes out because we are obsessed.  This is the perfect treat because it's both popcorn AND chocolate and amazing. 

So, because it's back to normal and I am trying to find our house after being on vacation last week, here's the recipe. Enjoy! 

 Chocolate Krispy Popcorn

Ingredients:
6 cups popcorn, popped
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup Rice Krispies

Directions:
Pop your popcorn so you have about 6 cups of popcorn.  I used these and just made a couple of batches in the microwave.  Put popcorn in a large bowl and make sure to leave out all the duds.  Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, stiring after each 30 seconds.  Add coconut oil to melted chocolate chips and stir.  Pour over popcorn and add rice krispies and carefully stir.  Lay out on a waxed paper/parchment paper lined baking sheet.  If you want to speed up the setting process, stick in the freezer for about 15 minutes. 

Store in a ziplock bag for a few days. 

Notes:
The coconut oil helps the chocolate harden, you don't taste any coconut flavor :)
I recommend Guittard Dark Chocolate Chips. . . they are soy and dairy free and really good quality. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...