Thursday, May 03, 2018

Library Tote Bag {A Tutorial}

The end of the school year is coming and while I have no idea the actual number of days we have left, I know it's coming.  I am ready.  There is an excitement that comes with wrapping up things and knowing a 2 month break is approaching.  Also, it's just really busy.  And despite that business, I knew that I needed to break out my sewing machine.  Fabric was calling.  There was a desire to create something and I knew I needed to carve out that time.  So, a few weeks ago, I took a Sunday afternoon and sewed.  It was only about an hour, but it felt so good.

This project took less than an hour per bag, which made it a very quick project that had an end result.  That feeling of finishing something feels oh, so good!  This also, was a really easy project that if you are just starting out on the sewing machine, this is a great bag for you!  Also, it has completely solved the problem of library books everywhere!  I love it! 

I've been wanting to make the kids their own library bags for a few years now.  I started them last year, using a different method for the handles and the result ended up in a non usable bag.  Super sad face.  So, I am super excited that I finally finished them.  Especially after I found the cutest Pete the Cat fabric at Hobby Lobby! 

 
 Step 1:
Find your fabric and cut out your fabric.  You will need 2 coordinating fabrics.  Weston's Pete the Cat bag used regular cotton weighted fabric.  It is way more flexible, but still very functional.  Ethan's blue and white bag (leftovers from my dining room chair and some star wars fabric from JoAnns) and my bag both used heavier home decor weight for the outside fabric.  This made it way more sturdy. My fabric came from Hobby Lobby and was on clearance for $5 a  yard.  You only need a half a yard of each fabric to make this project. 
 Step 2:
(Skip this if you don't want an inside pocket)
Take your two 5x5inch squares and place them right sides facing each other.  Sew all the way around leaving a 11/2 inch gap so you can flip in right side out.  Before flipping it right side out clip the corners.  After you flip it out, take the iron and iron it flat.  Since you are going to sew a top stitch on the next step, you don't have to do an invisible stitch in your gap from flipping it out.
Step 3: 
Sew the pocket onto one of your rectangles that you want for the inside of the bag.  Start at one of the top corners and sew around to the facing top corner.  Don't sew all around or else it won't be a pocket.  (I've done this on accident. . . oops!).
Step 4:
Take the two pieces of inside fabric (the ones that you sewed your pocket to, and place right sides together.  Sew starting in the top corner around to the other top corner.  Don't sew all the way around. 

Step 5:
Take your inside fabric and flatten out the bottom.  Measure down the seam 2 inches and draw a line.  I used a disappearing ink pen made for sewing, but a regular pen will do.  Sew down that line and snip off the edge.  Do the same thing on the other side.  This is technique gives the bottom of your bag dimension, you you can hold more books.

Step 6:
Do the same thing to the coordinating fabric.

Step 7: 
Take your handle fabrics and fold in half, with the right side of the fabric on the inside. Sew down the side and flip right so right side is facing out.
Step 8:
Take your outside fabric and turn inside.  Take the inside fabric and place inside the fabric so that the right sides are facing.  Tuck your handles in side leaving a little bit outside.  Pin them in place.  Then sew around leaving a 2 inch opening to flip the bag right side out.  Flip right side out and do an invisible stitch to close your opening.  Then top stitch around the top. 
I am so excited about how these came out and how useful they have been!  We spend a lot more time at our local library during summer vacation and I am excited that the kids have something to carry their books with out spending a ton of money.  

If you make this snap a pic and post it using #outoftherightbrainblog. . . I'd love to see your creations! 

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...