Friday, June 22, 2018

Easy Key Fob Tutorial

It's summer and I am itching to do something creative.  Like really bad. . . not just the index cards of the day (that I am so behind on) or doing directed drawing with my kids.  But, starting from scratch and creating something start to finish.  Things are a bit different with the kids home and I am working on finding that new groove that comes with summer schedules.  Also, I have been staying up way too late.  I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but it's the one time I get the house to myself. . . it's just so peaceful.  Also, Hallmark movies are really sucking me in right now.

So, I thought that I would quickly share a fun easy project that might help spur your creativity (and maybe give mine a little jump start!). This project is super quick, start to finish project that will live you satisfied and possibly wanting to make more.  I made these for the kids teachers this year and both of them didn't hesitate to put them on the key chains.  Mine was several years old and was so worn out that I needed a new one and so made myself one.  The first one I made took me a little longer, but once I figured them out, they each took less than 30 minutes.  Seriously.  Easy, few materials, and a project finished just like that.  Definitely a winner on a hot summer afternoon when you just don't want to go outside.  (It's really hot today!).

Here's what you will need:
2 coordinating fabrics
fusible interfacing
key chain swivel attachments (I found mine at JoAnn's)
Thread

Here's what you need to cut out:
Cut out of each fabric a rectangle 2 3/4 inches by 13 inches.  You can go shorter or longer, depending on your preference.

Cut out 1 smaller rectangle about 2 inches by 3 3/4 inches.

Cut out 2 rectangles of fusible interfacing that are 3/4 inch by 12 inches. 

Step 1:  Cut out fabric.

Step 2:  
 Sew your 3 fabric rectangles (2 longer and 1 shorter) together wrong side out.  Iron the seam out like above and then flip right side out.  I recommend getting caught up on your favorite show or put on one of those cheesy, ever predictable Hallmark movies to watch while you flip right side out.  Iron flat with seam in the middle and not on the side.

 Step 3: 
Iron each piece of fusible interfacing onto each long rectangle's seam side.  If you are using thicker fusible interfacing, you might want to put it on one side.  I used Pellon Fusible Midweight interfacing (931td) that I found at my local JoAnn's store.

Step 4:

Lay your two coordinating fabrics on top of each other with the interfacing and seams facing inward. 

Pin together in a few places so it stays put, while you sew. 

Step 5:
 Sew down the long side of your rectangle sandwich.  Sew as close to the edge as possible, but not all the way.

Step 6:
 Place key chain attachment through the fabric.  Place it in the middle for the time being.

Step 7:
 Sew the two ends together a couple of times using the zig zag feature on your machine.  It will look ugly, but you are going to cover it up, so no one will ever know! 

Step 8:
Remember that little piece of fabric you sewed, flipped right side out and ironed nice and flat?  Adjust your now loop-de-loop of fabric so that the ugly part that you just sewed is close to the key chain piece.  Wrap the fabric around tucking the two ends in on the same sides.  Pin and sew together. I sewed it shut and then sewed a square, making sure it was secure. 
And ta-da you have your very own key fob.  I will warn you, you will want to make a ton for all your friends, whether they need them or not.  This is a great way to work on that stash you've collected, but never done anything with (ahem. . . speaking to myself here) or a great way to learn a new way to use your machine. 


I found this cool printable back when we gave fobs for teacher appreciation here.












No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...