Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Summer Stem Challenge: Pom Pom Catapults

 I've sat at my computer for an hour.  I've gotten up a bazillion times (so, maybe not a bazillion, but you get my point!).  I now have coffee and maybe I can sit here and focus on my writing.  The hubby took two weeks off and it was lovely (sorry about the lack of blog posts!).  Today, he went back and we are all wandering around like lost puppy dogs.   It's hot and we are so unfocused.  We need to get back into our routine, but reading all day and traveling have kind of been the agenda and well. . . that's more fun that laundry.  We are also tired.

The one thing that has been constant is that the kids got up thinking we were going to do a STEM activity today, and I was like, umm, no.  We will get to the next one, later this week, but first, I need to find my groove. . . and my house.  The point of that, is they are just loving this Summer Stem Challenge and I hope you all are too!

So, let's get to it!

I think anytime my boys get to make things fly, shoot across a room, or even knock something down makes them giddy.  Since this one did all of those, let's just say that it went over VERY well. . . even with the hubby! Also, this was a great boredom buster, on top of some science and engineering.  They played happily for over an hour both days we pulled them out!  Definitely a win!  And, I am sure now that we are back from vacation, they will come out as a way to keep them busy.  So, really, this STEM project will save you so much of your sanity. . . if you can tolerate some pom poms flying around! 
First thing:  Gather your materials. 
You will  need popsicle sticks (2 sizes), rubber bands, plastic spoons and some pom poms.  You could even use marshmallows, but it summer and ants are just waiting for an excuse to come in!  All these things you can find at your local dollar store (probably), if you don't have them laying around, like we did. 

Next:  Build your catapult.  
 Step 1:  Gather some small popsicle sticks and stack them.  Probably around 8. . . it's up to you how tall you think will be best.  Keeping them stacked, wrap both ends tightly with a rubber band.  Set aside.
 Step 2:  Take a 2 bigger popsicle sticks and wrap one rubber band around the end. 

 Step 3: Lay a spoon over the top of that stack and wrap a rubber band around one of the popsicle sticks in your stack.  Spread them apart slightly and wedge your smaller stick stack inside.  Like an alligator. 
 Step 4: Place pom pom onto spoon and bend backward to send it flying!  Don't try to get your kids to stop. . . it's hard. 
I even set up different sized containers for them to aim the pom poms in.  Surprisingly, they made some "goals" and kept trying.  When we asked them to clean up, they didn't want to!  Total win!

Also, the looks on their faces say it all!  They had a blast building, exploring, and playing.

Have you tried out a STEM challenge yet?  I would love to hear about it!  Feel free to comment below and make my day!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...