Wednesday, August 12, 2020

A different kind of back to school post







School starts next week for our family.  The upcoming year looks very different than what we're used to since all schools in our area are doing distance learning.  I must confess, I find myself both incredibly excited. . . almost giddy about the upcoming school year and at the same time incredibly sad.  While we are obviously saying no to a lot of things and letting go of a lot of dreams and ambitions, my kids have some great teachers and they're going to do great with distance learning.  I've got one kid wrapping up his final year of elementary school and one kid moving into the realm of upper elementary, and for some reason this makes me incredibly sad (my babies are growing up!).  There are so many feels this week.

I feel like I should probably preface this post a little. I am a stay at home mom and former teacher.  I one hundred percent get it that most people do not have this option, so the thought of the kids staying home messes everything up and is causing a lot of stress.  I get it.  I hear you.  I am praying for you.  This is not going to be easy. I also am going to say we were gung-ho send the kids back to school like normal in June, but when we came home from a quick trip to Wyoming, our local numbers started getting incredibly high, we sat down with our kids, discussed what the school year was going to be like and talked about sacrificing our time at school for those kids who needed to be at school.  That way social distancing could happen.  There were tears from our oldest but both boys agreed it was the best decision.  So, when the call was made to go district wide distance learning, my oldest was so excited to be able to still see his friends and his teachers (online, of course!).  We are very blessed that our school community is pretty amazing.  The teachers and admin love on our kids like they were their own. We are very glad we are still connected (it would have been weird if the kids had random teachers).

I guess what I am trying to say is we all have different stories, different jobs, different stresses, but please, let's remember to be kind.  

 As we approach this

school year let's just recognize two things:

1.  This year is going to be different and that's going to make us uncomfortable. 

2.  We are used to school being one way and change is hard.  Nobody really likes change.  Also, change is really, really scary.  

We are all feeling so many things with these changes to the school year.  There are A LOT of concerns out there and many of them are legit.  However, if we let our concerns, fears, and inconvenience of it all steal our joy and excitement from our children's school year that will be the saddest thing that will result from distance learning. Our children are watching us.  They are the cutest sponges soaking in our actions, comments and attitudes about everything.  If they only see us complaining and groaning and talking smack against distance learning, they are going to have the same attitude towards school this year. Students are more likely to learn when they are excited about something. Let's get them excited for this school year. Let's take this year of unknowns and disappointment and turn it into a year of adventure and something to look forward to. 

How can we get them (and you) excited?

Here are some tips on getting them excited for the first day of this very weird school year.  

:: Buy School Supplies. I am a sucker for back to school shopping. . . it's the teacher inside of me.  But, nothing says new school year better than freshly sharpened Ticonderoga pencils and beautifully sharp Crayola crayons.  While we keep our art closet pretty stocked with a lot of this stuff, the kids get so excited to pick out new notebooks, folders, and fresh binders.  Make sure they have scissors and all the supplies needed for successful learning at home.  Our kids will have their textbooks at home, so I bought plastic book boxes for each of the kids and a supply caddy to keep pens, crayons, and markers organized and handy. 

 

 
 
:: Create a space in which your child is excited to learn.  Find a space that is quiet and has few distractions and a chair that they can sit comfortably and still see their computers without causing strain on their neck and back.  At our house, Weston gets the kids desk area and Ethan moves his stuff for the day to our dining room.  Thy can't both do online classes at the same time right next to each other. . . that would be a disaster.  

:: Continue your normal first day of school traditions.  This is important!  Take that first day picture.  Make that special breakfast. Go out for that first day treat.  Do whatever you would normally do (safely, of course).  This year is so different, our kids need some sort of normalcy.  Keeping up your regular traditions will take so much of the uneasiness away from everything that is so different.  

:: Find something for you. Parents of littles, you will probably be supervising a lot of your child's learning, but those with older kids who are more independent might find your presence a little distracting.  I realized last Spring, when we suddenly switched to distance learning, that I distracted my kids.  So, I have switched around my day to when I work on certain things.  I created a space in our office to get my work out in and I have a few creative projects on deck.  I have high ambitions for this fall. No matter whether you are working from home, working from work, or a stay at home mom this is definitely putting a dent in your schedule.  Make sure you take a few minutes for yourself.  Breathe.  Go treat yourself to a coffee. 

:: Encourage your child's teachers.  If you are new here, this is not a new concept.  Your child's teachers have been working so hard to prepare for this new (and hopefully temporary) school year.  In many ways, teaching online is twice as much work as regular teaching.  Your child's teacher is going to need to know you are partnering with them and are fully supporting them.  Send them digital coffee gift cards or an occasional email letting them know they are doing great and thanking them for all their work.  They are going to need these words to keep on going.  (I have some ideas on this post for quarantine teacher treats).  

:: Let go of your worries.  Hand them over to God.  He's got this. We don't need to waste our time worrying about it.  I like to make lists which came in handy the other day as I was thinking about this upcoming school year.  I listed out the the things I was grateful about as I looked forward into the unknown.  Here's a few of them: We are slowing down and that's really good for the heart, my kids are surrounded by amazing teachers at their school, I am getting extra time with my kids that I wouldn't otherwise have if they were in school (and they are growing up so quick), and grocery delivery (because who knows when I'm going to find time for grocery shopping!).  If you let go of your worries, you will feel a little lighter. . . I promise!

So, this post ended up being way longer than I had planned.  Let's be kind. . . let's encourage our friends who are in the same boat and our hard working teachers.  And let's celebrate our kids. . . our kids who are going to come out of this much more resilient and stronger than they were before!   


p.s. please check on your fellow mom friends . . . especially if they are also working their own jobs.  We all are gonna need extra love and coffee during this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...