Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer fun

I feel like this is going to be a super fun summer! I've already been to Jackson hole and Monterey and now I'm getting ready for our mops retreat that will be tomorrow night at my house.  (It's 11:00 and I am taking a break from cleaning my kitchen. . . steaming the microwave).  So, if you don't see a lot of posts from me in the next few weeks. . . . just know that we are having fun and hoping that you are too!

Tonight I took the outside for some fun water play time and whipped up a couple batches of chalk paint.  I pinned this and tried it quite a few time last summer.  It was a big hit.   This year, it's even a bigger hit because I have another munchkin who thinks it's cool (at 4 months old last summer he just really didn't give a hoot!).

I was just mixing the cornstarch and water up in paper cups but the kids just kept spilling them.  So, tonight I tried an old muffin tin.  It worked way better and I got to experiment with colors!  So much fun!  With a one year old, it eventually ended up all over, but it lasted much longer.

This is a super cheap recipe that you can do with kids from ingredients you probably have in your own home.

Here's the recipe:

1 to 2 tsp. cornstarch for each muffin tin . . . I just eyeball it
water. . . make it a good consistency. . . you don't want oobleck.
food coloring.  about 5 drops will do the trick.

Mix well, send kids outside with paintbrushes and watch them make art (even if it's just a big glob of color at the end!).

What's your favorite thing to do over the summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...