Tuesday, February 26, 2013

experiment = addiction

This year I have resolved to be better at our food budget.  The food budget is the hardest thing for me to submit to.  Food costs money (and it seems like everything is becoming more pricey), and there just never seems to be enough of it.  I am convinced that my two boys are going to eat us out of house and home.  I have always struggled with our food budget, and as a result, it has brought a bit of stress on my husband.  So, this year, I am determined to stay within our budget so we can use other money for more fun things, rather than covering my food spending.

As a result of my determination, I started this week with $4 and we were out of a lot of things, but I didn't want to have to go to the store until our normal shopping day (this case Wednesday, usually it's Thursday), so I got creative and looked for a bagel recipe.  I've always wanted to make bagels.  They are on my secret baking bucket list (did you know I had one of those?).

I really wanted to make these, but the thought of making my kitchen aid mixer smoke kind of scared me.  Plus, I really wanted to use my bread machine (I'm kind of a lazy bread maker. . . and it does all the hard work for me).  So, I took a gander and googled one that had 4.5 stars and it was so worth it.  I may NEVER buy store bought bagels again.

These were seriously the best bagels ever!  I think that if my family didn't have self control we would have eaten the whole batch Sunday afternoon (that may have been carb overload!).  Plus, factor in that the fact that I used the bread machine and you can consider this recipe super easy!  It really wasn't as intimidating as I anticipated.  

Also, before I forget, don't forget their are 2 days left to get in on my bloggie birthday give-away. . . follow the blog to enter.  Be entered twice if you share my blog.  Be entered a third time if you comment in the comments below by answering the following question:

What's your favorite bagel?

Here's the recipe:

Bread Machine Bagels
adapted from allrecipes.com

Ingredients:
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp sugar
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp dry active yeast
3 quarts water
3 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp cornmeal

poppy seeds, sesame seeds, and dried onion for topping

Directions:

1. Place your water, sugar, flour, and yeast in your brad machine pan.  Set to dough setting and let your machine do all the work.  Remember, it is important to not let your yeast touch the water until the cycle begins.  It helps to make a divot in the flour to hold your yeast.  

2.  When the dough is finished, let it rest on a lightly flowered surface.  Meanwhile, bring your 3 quartts of water and sugar to a boil.  Cut dough into 9 equal pieces.  Roll each piece into a ball and poke a hole in it with your finger.  Twirl the dough on your finger to enlarge the hole.  Cover the bagels with a clean cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.  

3.  Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal.  Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water.  Boil for 1 minute, making sure to turn each one over halfway through.  Drain briefly on a clean towel   Arrange boiled bagels on a baking sheet.  Glaze top with egg white and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.  

4.  Bake in an preheated 375 oven for about 20 minutes, until well browned.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...