Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Opportunity to Reach One {Mom Brunch}

For the past 5 years I have been living in a wonderful bubble of wonderful church friends and family.  It has been incredibly comfortable.  It can be nice living in a bubble with all-God loving friends.  But, I don't believe that this is how God has called us to live our lives.  I haven't found that verse that says Go live in your Christian bubble.  Make sure your friends are already believers.  Be comfortable.  On the contrary, we are to go out and live in the world, but not be of the world.  We are called to make disciples.  We are called to be uncomfortable.  

Which is why we chose to put our son in public school.  Yes, you heard me.  Despite all the drama, conspiracy theories, and politics, we chose to put our child where God is probably needed the most.  It is our family's desire to be a light in our workplace, neighborhood, and school.  And let me tell you. . . it isn't always comfortable.  There are times when it is awkward, frustrating, and sometimes it stinks (literally).  But most of the time, it has been completely awesome and rewarding (and I LOVE it!).  The school year ends next week, and I am kind of sad.  Not only did my son make some wonderful friends this year, but so did I.  

One of the things I did this year, besides helping out with prepping art and encouraging our teacher, was host a brunch with my fellow TK moms.  I sent out this invitation via email.  
 I used the Creative Memories software that technically doesn't really exist, with some Stampin' Up digital images and paper that I had laying around.  I am loving it, even though some things shifted when I saved it and I didn't catch it until after it had sent.  Oh, well.  

I was so surprised that 6 out of 9 moms showed up.  It was so much fun that nobody wanted to leave!  We hung out on the back patio and let the littles run around.  It was great!  One of the amazing things, was one of the mom's that we hadn't really been able to get to know very well, came.  When I asked her a few weeks prior if she would even be interested, her response was, "a brunch?  with moms?"  She had never experiences that amazing opportunity to connect and fellowship with other moms.  I think that we might take this for granted in the church, because it happens quite often.  This particular mom, left with a glow that I had never seen on her before.  I can't wait to get to know her more next year.  

I baked up some yummy strawberry white chocolate chip muffins and some lemon poppyseed scones.  Both were so delicious!  Blog posts coming soon. . . I promise!
My goal of this brunch was to bring the moms together and develop relationships.  I didn't want to show off or make anyone feel out of place with over the top decorations.  It was just a brunch and simplicity was key.  I went with some of the Oh Joy! for Target collection.  Everything was just so springy.   I also painted some of the metal jar lid rings and left the top off to put some paper straws and utensils in.  
One of the mom's who I have gotten to know really well, brought me this Easter Lilly.  It was so beautiful and unexpected.

Stepping out of the bubble.

Getting uncomfortable.

Being a light.

Expecting the unexpected.

Try it.  You just might like it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...