Wednesday, April 05, 2017

Spring & the best oven baked fries ever!

It's safe to say that we have a major case of spring fever around here.  The weather has been as close to perfect as you can dream (minus last week's crazy wind).  The kids have been coming home and willingly doing their chores just so that they can go outside and play while I cook dinner. I want to cook everything on the grill and eat outside.  There is something about dining al fresco that makes you slow down and savour the moment.  That and the grill uses less dishes. . . and that means less clean up.  I call that a win!

I bought a bag of potatoes last month and we just never got around to using them, so we've been making oven fries every chance we can get.  They are quite simple and one of my family's favorite things to eat.  I found a recipe by averiecooks that completely inspired this recipe.   A few years ago Jon wrapped up a fancy can of black truffle oil and it is perfect with these fries.  Plus, they are oven baked so less guilt, right?

Fries are probably my biggest weakness when it comes to food.  I nice, warm, slightly crunchy french fry dipped in ketchup is one of my favorite comfort foods. (unless I have chick fil-a sauce laying around and then. . . well. . .)  I know.  I am weird.   Making these fries is a quick side dish and almost everyone eats them.  Weston hasn't warmed up to the idea of little herb pieces hanging out on his potato, but it the rosemary and thyme make is so worth it!



Oven Baked Truffle Fries
adapted from averiecooks

Ingredients:
5 medium russet potatoes
2 TBSP cornstarch
2 TBSP melted coconut oil
1-2 tsp truffle oil (to taste)
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp garlic powder
pepper
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme

Directions:
Cut potatoes into french fry slices and stick into a ziplock bag.  Sprinkle with cornstarch and shake until nicely covered.  Then sprinkle with coconut oil and shake some more.  Then drizzle with truffle oil, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic powder, and thyme and shake some more.  Place on a parchment covered cookie sheet and bake for 25 minutes at 425 degrees.  Then turn them all over and bake for 10-15 more minutes.  Serve warm with a side of ketchup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...