Friday, February 16, 2018

Weston is 7! {A Lego Party!}

  Happy Friday everyone!  This week has been filled with a fun adventure and a sick kid.  I even sent my sick kid to school thinking it was allergies and he ended up having a fever when he got home.  One of those OOPS mom moments!  In the meantime, he's on the mend and enjoying some tv time and staying home sick. 

Needless to say, when you have a sick kid, plans don't always go as planned, so I thought I would sit here and finish this blog post I started earlier in the week.  Weston turned 7 on the first and planning his parties is always so hard so soon after Christmas.  This year, when the kids decided they didn't want our Crayon Lego Valentines, I knew we had to use up our old crayon stash somehow and so I thought about using them for favors for a Lego themed party.  Let's just say the idea was well received!  
Weston is a serious Lego fanatic and can sit in solitude in his room and build intricate creations with our Lego collection.  Those things are his favorite thing and right now never get old. So, it made perfect sense to have that as the theme.  

This year, we kept things a little bit simpler and hosted the party for family and a few friends.  Small and sweet with plenty of activities and games to keep the kids busy.  We had a few snacks, including some delicious popcorn from a local popcorn company.  For the most part, I kept things super simple. 

I also wanted to have lots of options for keeping kids busy. . .you know, kind of limit the chaos. Probably wishful thinking, but everyone had a blast. 
Lego Fun: Lego themed activity sheets were printed from here

Create a Lego Mini Figure: I traced yellow mini figures on yellow cardstock and cut them out.  There were pencils, markers, googly eyes, and foam shapes and letters to create a mini figure.  THese kids were so creative!  Weston made a Captain Underpants (thanks Netflix for making that movie available all.the.time!) minifigure. 

Paint a mini figure: I used the same ice cube mold I had used to make the crayons (I got it at the Lego Store a few years ago) and poured plaster of Paris in the molds.  It didn't take long and it was a huge hit!  I bought some little crayola paint containers and some cheap Michael's brushes (I wanted fine point brushes because the mini figures were so small).  This was probably the most popular activity!
Build:  I went through our stash and found some plates and some classic colored bricks along with some windows and doors and made a station on our coffee table.  Since most of the party took place outside and I really didn't legos outside, this ended up being the activity that got played with when they tired and hot (I know. . . first weekend in February. . . in California. . . we're weird!).  It was a great calm down activity.

I also had planned a race a lego car station, but that never happened.  Partly because I couldn't find anything to be my track.  Bummer, but I don't think we would have had time!


We also had a Guess How many Legos Jar.  I had a small box of Legos stashed away for the prize!  They had fun doing this!  We announced the winner just before letting Weston go crazy and open presents. 

I also bought some cheap "fake" lego-like bricks from the party section at Target and we had a spoon relay race with them and then they got to play with those bricks outside.  This was fun for all the kids.  It was fun watching them figure out, as a team, the best and quickest way to get the lego pieces over to the other side.
Then, we played Tape the Lego head to the mini figure.  This was a ton of fun watching them feel their way to the right spot. 

And, as with all birthdays, the best part of the party is the cupcakes.  My sweet friend Stephanie took some great shots and I am so in love with this one!  Weston's face is just full of joy from the fun day and his brother is totally trying to blow out his brother's candle.  Kudos to my hubby for stopping Ethan not drop the cake! 
And finally, The party favors.  I cooked up some crayons in the shape of bricks and mini figures and threw them in snack sized sandwich bags.  I am loving how they came out!

And that's Weston's party.  A HUGE thank you to my BFF Stephanie for capturing the day with her camera!  It was so nice to not have to worry about taking pictures so I could be fully present at my son's birthday!

Have a great weekend!






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...