Friday, December 04, 2009

Thanksgiving Pies

My goodness, Thanksgiving was here and gone so quickly! I got the privilege to make some pies for Jon's family get-together. I had so much fun! In fact, it was the highlight of my day, since I stayed home with our sick son. Here are the three that I made:

I had to go with pumpkin . . . right! This recipe rates second on Jon's list of favorite pumpkin pies. Number one, would be Costco . . . and who can compete with them? Here's the recipe:

Pumpkin Pie:
(Food Network style)
Crust - I am lazy. . . I just use the store bought ones.

1 small can of pumpkin
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. each of ginger, allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Whisk together ingredients and pour into crust. Bake 50 to 60 minutes at 400. Cool on rack.

Jon also mentioned that a Boston Cream Pie would sound yummy and he had several echos. So, I pulled my recipe out and got to work. I really didn't mind, because it is so very easy! This went fast from what I understand.

Boston Cream Pie
(Kraftfoods.com)

2 round yellow cake layers (9inch circles)
1 cup cold milk
1 pkg. (4 serving) instant vanilla pudding
1 1/2 cup whipped topping
1 square unsweetened baking chocolate
1 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp. cold milk

Trim your cake to make it even using a bread knife. Set aside. Pour 1 cup milk into large bowl. Add dry pudding mix. Beat with a wire wisk for 2 minutes or until well blended. Fold in whipped topping. Let stand 5 minutes to thickin. Place bottom layer on serving plate. Spread with pudding mixture and top with remaining cake layer.
Microwave chocolate and butter 1 minute. Stir until completely melted. Add sugar and milk. Stir until well blended. Spread over top of cake. Refrigerate 1 hour until ready to serve.



Apple Tart
Lastly, I wanted to try a new recipe with apples. I usually bake my apple cheesecake, but really wanted to try a tart. This one was quite tastey and looked so pretty! You can find the recipe over at Joy of baking.

2 comments:

  1. YUM! Making them seems like so much effort, and you just happen to be so good at it...What city do you live in again? lol Looks delish...Im going to see how many apples we have left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I really did choose fairly simple recipes. The most elaborate was the apple, but it was worth it! :) I live in Fresno. . . moving soon, but still Fresno. I hope you have some apples left, because it's super delish! Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...