Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Blueberry Streusel Scones

Last week, I bought Ethan blueberries. He likes blueberries. . . or so I thought. He had one taste and spit the one he had out, which was quite the opposite of the last time, where he couldn't stop eating them. I decided to try them and so did my husband and bland and not sweet they were. That explained so much. . . I was beginning to wonder if my little toddler was just going to protest all food minus Gerber Graduate cheese puffs (which I am pretty sure he could just live off!). So, since we obviously wouldn't be eating these not-so-sweet (and might I add, expensive) blueberries, I needed to try to find a solution so I would not feel as if I were wasting our money.

Thankfully, I was hosting a playdate at my house and needed a new scone recipe to try. So, I found this one at Joy of Baking and whipped up a batch. So, since I started with bland blueberries I really wondered how these would even come out. . . which was a common theme throughout my baking adventure that day. This ended up being an almost-disaster. I usually just prepare my scones in the food processor - it cuts butter like magic and takes just a couple of minutes to prepare. Yeah, not such a great idea when you add blueberries. Basically, it worked well up until the last, and most important ingredient was added. If you haven't guessed already, I ended up with very pureed blueberries. My scones were no longer white with blueberry chunks, but a blue/purple tint and no chunks. OOPS!

I baked them anyway, cutting them in circles and adding the yummy streusel topping (mmm. . . good!) and baked them. I mean, what was there to loose? The blueberries started off yucko and were now juiced, so if they even turned out a little tasty, then I wouldn't feel as if I had wasted money on these blueberries.

The end product, would be that of the picture above. .. nothing like the picture here (which is what they are supposed to look like). The taste. . . well. . . apparently, they are husband's new favorite scone (Which is funny, because I actually also made his favorite scone, the Buttermilk Cranberry Scone for the playdate, too!). They also received rave reviews from the ladies at the play date. So, needless to say, for a recipe that started out VERY bad, it turned out not to be a disaster at all. I will try making them again. . . someday, just not right now.

You can find the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...