Friday, January 27, 2017

Just in time for the weekend: Blueberry-Almond Coffee Cake

It's official!  The weekend has arrived and after the crazy week that we've had at our house, we are ready for some quiet.  There's nothing on the calendar and so the goal is to rest and get some of that IKEA furniture built (it's been staring at me since it's delivery early this week).  I am so ready to be able to start finding things that I need, like the stapler. . . can't find the darn thing!  I also finally decided on the backing to Weston's quilt and I didn't realize how difficult it would be to commit to a fabric for the backing. 

As I type, the kids are playing quietly together and at some point (very soon) they are going to be asking for dinner, so this is going to be quick.  I don't know how long the quiet is going to last. 
I found this recipe in this month's issue of Bake from Scratch and I knew it was going to be made as soon as I saw it.  I have a weak spot for blueberries.  Blueberries mixed with sweet, delicious carbohydrates are the best!  Not to mention the combination of blueberries and almonds just makes me swoon.  This is definitely a recipe that is easy to make and will give you a great excuse to have a friend over for coffee!  Don't get overwhelmed by the ingredients.

 Almond Flour is definitely something worth purchasing and keeping in your freezer for recipes like this.  In this recipe, it just adds a perfect almond flavoring to the cake that you can't get from almond extract alone.  Plus the cake itself is melt in your mouth, moist, and perfect sponge.  You will not want to stop eating this.  You really should just invite a friend over. . . me maybe? I will be happy to come share this with you. 

You should probably run to the store and get some blueberries. . . 


This recipe will be great tomorrow morning. 

Or the next day. 


Are you drooling yet? 

I promise, it's as good as it looks.

Nope.  I lied.  Sorry.  Not sorry.

It's better. 

You should go make this right now. 
Almond - Blueberry Coffee Cake 
from Bake from Scratch Magazine (Jan/Feb. 2017)

Ingredients:

Streussel -
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp kosher salt
3 TBSP butter, softened
1/3 cup sliced almonds

Cake -
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup almond flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, divided
2 tsp course sugar, like Turbinado sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray your favorite 9in round pan with spray and dust with flour.

In a smaller bowl, whisk flour, sugar and salt.  Stir in butter until crumbly.  I like to use my fingers to help it get those small crumbs as opposed to the big chunks.  Stir in sliced almonds.

In your stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  This takes 3 to 4 minutes, and well worth the effort for a good cream.  Also, make sure you scrape the bowl after about 2 minutes of mixing, so all of it has a chance to get nice and creamy.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Beat well after each egg is added.  Stir in vanilla and almond extract.

Slowly add dry ingredients alternatively with milk.  Stir in sour cream.  Pour half of the mixture into your greased and floured pan.  Sprinkle the top of batter with 1 1/4 cup blueberries.  Layer with the rest of batter.  Spread it around so it is even and pretty.  Sprinkle with remaining blueberries and streussel, and coarse sugar.

Bake for about 50-55 minutes.  Cool in pan on an cookie rack for 15 minutes.  Take a sharp knife and run it around the edges of the pan to help loosen it up and prevent breaking.  Place a plate on top and flip over.  Then flip over again on wire rack.  Let it finish cooling here and then enjoy. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks delicious! As soon as I have an oven again, I just might have to make this.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...