Wednesday, November 01, 2017

What's For Dinner {Sept 2017 edition}

This summer I went and drooled over the cookbook section at Barnes and Noble.  There are sooo many good recipes out there hidden in these books. . . and there are so many of them!  Before, I even consider taking the plunge and buying one I always check them out at the library first.  I need to read them. I need to study them.  I need to ask myself will I make more than just one recipe from this book?  So, at the end of the summer, I had quite the stack of cookbooks waiting for me at our local library.  It was like Christmas.  But not.  I had to return these babies eventually!

I'm kind of afraid to post the recipes we tried out because you might run away screaming. But, hear me out.  I've made mention that my youngest son and I deal with dairy allergies and then he also has a soy allergy.  This is so frustrating when you just want to eat some good food.  I also know that sometimes bread is not my friend.  So, after some serious talks with my husband we decided to try out some paleo and Whole 30 recipes.  These recipes are guaranteed to be dairy free and grain free and a lot of them look so amazing!  We aren't at the point where we will switch completely to these diets, but I think there is a lot to gain from them, their recipes, and living a healthy lifestyle.  I am a huge believer in everything in moderation and that food is meant to be enjoyed and savored.  And guys, these recipes were so tasty!  I wouldn't be sharing them with you if they weren't. 

So, without further ado. . . here are the recipes we tried out in September.

1.  Mediterranean Bison Burgers. 
This recipe was one of my favorites.  Jon thought it was so-so, only because of the mayonnaise. . . that he doesn't do.   Bison is always really tasty and the grilled green onions were amazing!  You definitely need to make a salad or some potatoes for the side because you will be hungry an hour later.  But, this one was a keeper! 

2.  Asian Sesame Chicken Salad
 This was our absolute favorite recipe of October.  It made a huge batch and I still am thinking about adding it to our menu for this month.   Plus, using coconut aminos is a great way to get rid of the soy factor and it tastes just like soy sauce!  I really liked this recipe because it made a lot of salad and we just poured the dressing on separately so we could have leftovers the next night.  Leftovers and dinner time soccer practices are my friend!  This is a whole 30 recipe and unlike most Asian sesame salads, there was no sugar to be found in this recipe (that's why it's whole 30). 

3.  Italian Sub Salad

I've had this recipe on my want to make list for almost forever!  I finally made it and it was pretty much amazing.  I've never really been disappointed with Smitten Kitchen recipes.  Deb Perelman has always been one of my favorite food bloggers because shes so stinking simple and she is so real.  I think that this recipe is going to join some other favorite salad recipes that I bring to parties.  It's that good!   It also tastes like an Italian sub without the bread! I added provolone to Jon and Ethan's salads, but otherwise kept it dairy free.  I also made this recipe on a super hot day so heating up the kitchen sounded horrible!  This was the perfect summer-time dinner!

4.  Dump Ranch
So. . .this isn't really a dinner recipe.  But, it is so amazing!  I love ranch.  I MISS ranch.   Carrots and ranch, Pizza and ranch, BBQ chicken salad with ranch, buffalo chicken with ranch.  This recipe is life changing if you are on a non dairy diet.  It's super easy.  Doesn't even taste like coconut and it takes less than 5 minutes to make!  I have been making this so many times that I keep light flavored olive oil in the pantry so I always  have it. 

  I also made an amazing twice baked potatoes recipe from the whole 30 cookbook and they were amazing.  I can't find the recipe anywhere, so you might have to go buy the book or check it out at your local library. 

For those who are curious of the cookbooks I checked out and enjoyed here's a list with amazon links:

Against all Grain - I made a few of these recipes earlier in the summer and they were really good.  She has a lot of recipes on her blog, too! 

Whole 30 Cookbook - this is the actual cookbook that came out and not the guide to how to do the whole 30.  The recipes we tried were amazing!

Nom Nom Paleo was super fun to read.  I didn't get a chance to make anything from it before sending it back.  But super cute and fun. 

Well, that's it!  I hope this inspired you and you didn't run away thinking I've lost all my marbles!  Don't worry, we haven't given up carbs completely!  Just eating in moderation. 

What are you cooking up this month?








1 / 2 / 3 / 4 /

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...