Friday, January 18, 2019

Picture Frame Earing Holder Tutorail

 I remember the day I got my ears pierced.  It was a month before I officially became a teenager (my mom had a rule that we couldn't get our ears pierced until we were 13. . . a right of passage so to speak).  We had the day off for Columbus Day and my mom took me to a local jewelry store to get it done.  I remember the sting.  I remember the excitement.  I remember the ugly topaz earrings I was forced to wear for the next month.  Honestly, they weren't completely horrible, but I am not the biggest fan of my Topaz birthstone. As soon as I was able to take those suckers out, I did my best to make sure I had earrings.  I spent so much time (and babysitting money) at Claires and Afterthoughts buying earrings. From cute fun studs to colorful dangly ones I bought them.

My mom, being the super creative person that she is made us earring holders out of fun colored plastic canvas.  I'm pretty sure mine was pink, because it matched my Laura Ashley bedding and pink daybed (remember, teen of the 90's).  Anyway, these earring holders were super helpful for storing all the earrings I was accumulating. 

Fast forward a bunch of years and honestly I kind of stopped wearing earrings. . . except for some diamond studs my husband got be for our 5th anniversary. . . and even then, only on special occasions.  I fell out of the habit of wearing earrings once we had kids and until recently never bought any.  But, now that I am replensihing my earring collection I needed a place to store them.
Then, I remembered those plastic canvas holders that my mom made us years ago and a light bulb went off!  This project ended up costing less than $5 which was awesome, thanks to a random stroll down some isles at Target.   I knew I wanted a picture frame that would have a way to stand up and one of those regular ones where the flappy thing is attached to the back panel.  That wouldn't work, because I wasn't going to need that.  I've had this project in the back of my head for a few weeks and I was thinking that if I couldn't find a frame that would work, maybe some wood glue and a small piece of wood along the back bottom of the frame (just an idea if you can't find a frame like mine). 
This project only needs some plastic canvas (69 cents at Hobby Lobby) and a picture frame.  I found my frame on a clearance end cap at Target for less than $4.  Seriously, organization and cuteness on a budget. . . let's celebrate.  Oh and this project only takes about 3 minutes, so seriously, anyone can do it. 
I used the glass from the 5x7 frame as a guide and traced it with my pen.  I had to trim it a little bit to make it fit, but better to start out bigger than too small.
 I made sure it was a snug fit because there isn't much holding it, but it stays and it works. 
 Then, all you have to do is stand it up and start filling it with earrings.  I put mine in my bathroom, by my sink so when I'm getting ready in the morning I can easily grab a pair and put them on.  I've definitely been wearing earrings more since I made this, so I am calling it a win.  Also, if you don't feel like you have a creative bone in your body. . . this doesn't' take much.  Even your 10 year old daughter can make this!  

I hope that you all have a fabulous three day weekend and find some time to do something creative!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...