Monday, April 30, 2012

Happy 1/2 birthday, Ethan!

It's Monday.  It's been about 2 weeks since I've posted anything and honestly, i don't care.  I used to worry about how often I posted, trying to get in a schedule, and lucky for you I just had to take a few days and sit back and enjoy not blogging.  I was actually quite busy throwing an appreciation dessert, pampered chef parties, and organizing a MOPS scavenger hunt. . . and hanging out with sweet, adorable boys.  

So, I am back, fighting the urge to take a nap. . . this body is tired (i went on a cool, morning run and walked my kids to the library today).  I am really quite hot and I probably smell from being outside. . . it's hot here.   Anyways, I thought I would share this absolutely delicious cake . . seriously, it was delicious~  


Back in March (it seems like ages ago, right?), we celebrated Ethan's half birthday (which means in about a month I need to start planning his actual birthday party).  I made a half cake, which was totally fun to do and used Pinterest as my inspiration.  One of Ethan's favorite candies right now are Reeces Peanut Butter Cups, can you blame him?  So, I went looking for a yummy chocolate cake recipe and then a Peanut Butter filling.  Wowzers, delicious!

Doesn't that look amazing? It truly was.  We all loved it and ate it all.  I'm not even sure if we shared with anyone. . . if I did, you may want to comment. . . it was 2 months ago. . . eek. . . I've been so bad about blogging . . . not going to feel guilty. . . not going to feel guilty.  okay. . . . recipe time and then maybe Wednesday I will be back with something cool.  Until then, I am going to go and cut out beautiful fabric.
For the cake, I went with Martha's Busy-Day Chocolate Cake.  It is actually a recipe from Lucinda Scala Quinn's cookbook, Mad Hungry and was featured in Everyday Food, back in 2009 (if you don't read that magazine, I highly recommend it.  I've been subscribing to it for a few months and haven't been disappointed yet! ).   

Busy Day Chocolate Cake
slightly adapted from here

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp coarse salt
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp white vinegar
1 cup cold water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I mixed my ingredients together in a bowl.  Dry ingredients first and then my wet ingredients and whisked them all together until well combined.  I then greased my 8 inch round pan and poured my batter into it.  It baked for about 35 minutes. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and then turn upside down to get get cake out.  Finish cooling on your favorite cooling rack.  I cut my round into half and then each half I sliced into two thin pieces, to make a 4 layer half cake.  If you want the recipe directions for making it in the actual recipe for making it in the pan, go here. . . it's less clean up and quite tasty!  

Peanut Butter Filling

Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tbsp butter, room temperature
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup heavy cream

Directions:
Place the powdered sugar, peanut butter, butter, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of your favorite mixer (my choice mixer is my Kitchen Aid) fitted with your paddle attatchement.  Mix on med-low speed until it has a nice, creamy texture.  Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl as you do this, you don't want to miss out on any unused peanut butter!  .  Add the cream and mix on high until light and smooth.  

Frost with your favorite Chocolate Buttercream Frosting. . . I am really not sure which recipe I used. . . some day I will find it. 

Isn't he the cutest 3 1/2 year old ever????  I love this kid!

1 comment:

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...