Thursday, October 03, 2013

Healthy donuts? Is there really such thing?

This week my house looks like a tornado recently swept through.  I'm okay with it.  I'm okay with it solely because Weston is potty trained.  I think in the last 24 hours we have consumed more jelly beans than should possibly be consumed.  I'm okay with that. . . because today he has told me he wanted to go to the bathroom and actually went. . . every 5 minutes!  So, after 3 days of potty training  I am ready to clean and get some things done!  We should celebrate. With donuts.
Saturday morning I made these beautiful things.  I had been wanting to make them since I pinned the recipe last week, but it was survivor week in our house (I'll fill you in on that later).  In other words, I was missing a lot of the ingredients.  But, thankfully I went to the store just before the bananas went too far south.
These were so easy and quick to make. I made a couple of adaptions from the original and it ended making more than the average baked doughnut recipe.  My favorite part was that my boys devoured them. . . all of them.  It was like they couldn't get enough of them.  And because they were healthier than the average doughnut, I didn't care.

Banana Chocolate Chip Baked Donuts

Ingredients:
1 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup greek yogurt (I used 2 percent Fage)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Glaze:
2 tbs butter, unsalted
1 tbsp plus 1 tsp light corn syrup
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/4 tsp vanilla

Directions:
:: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  
:: Spray your doughnut pan with spray (do this each time, you use it and this batch you will use it at least twice!)
:: Using a medium bowl, beat your banana, yogurt, butter, and eggs.  The original recipe called for using your stand mixer. . . I didn't even bother using it.  Use your favorite spatula and stir it up until well blended. 
:: Add dry ingredients, fold in until just combined.  As with muffins, DO NOT over mix. 
:: Stir in chocolate chips (but remember, don't stir too much). 
:: Spoon batter into mold, filling them almost all the way to the top.  
:: Bake for about 15 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. 
:: Allow them to cool for a few minutes before moving them to a rack.  While they are still warm dip them in the glaze. 

Glaze:  Combine ingredients together and stir until smooth and shiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...