Friday, February 21, 2014

Lemon Love {scones}

I think I have Spring Fever.  A serious case of it actually.  It has been so hard to get things done this week!  My windows have been open and I have actually sent my son to school in shorts (which was kind of out of necessity, since all of a sudden he has holes in all his jeans!).  

I'm still watching my garden.  I know that it takes at least a week (or more) to sprout out of the ground, but as with everything, the anticipation is killing me!  I am so excited!  I also just bought a brand new pattern that I really want break open and start sewing, but for now, I should probably work on the projects at hand (there's a lot of them!).   I am even considering sewing a shirt for this summer.  I've been considering it for several years now. . . maybe this will be the year.  

I love, LOVE having a lemon tree in the backyard.  My lemon tree produces rather large lemons that are so juicy (I think they might be meyers, but not really sure).  All, I know is they are good!  
So, what do we do with the lemons?  Start cooking, of course!  So, I made these scones for a quick breakfast treat for Jon.  I may have mentioned that he usually doesn't have time to eat a bowl of cereal and we aren't that big of breakfast eaters, but we still need to eat.  So, it's really important for me to have something for him to to grab and go in the mornings.
Don't they look delicious?  They were.  They were super mild and very moist. 
Drooling yet?  Do you have lemons in the fridge so you can go make some now?  


Lemon Cream Scones
adapted from on sugar mountain

Ingredients:
3 tbsp sugar
zest and juice from 2 lemons
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus extra for brushing
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar

Directions: 
Preheat the oven to 400.  
Line your favorite cookie sheet with your silpat or some parchment paper. 
In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine lemon zest and sugar.  Before sticking your bowl into the mixer, stick your hands into the sugar and zest and massage the zest into the sugar.  This helps release all those oils into the sugar and will make your scones really stand out.  
Put your bowl into the mixer and lower your paddle into the bowl.  Add flour, baking powder, and salt.  Drop chunks of butter and mix on low speed until the flour mix is the size of small peas.  
Measure 1/4 cup lemon juice and poor into the bowl with the heavy cream.  Mix until it all comes together.  Your dough should be thick and moist. 

Sprinkle a little bit of flour over your parchment paper, drop dough on to it and pat into a round circle, about 3/4 in thick.  Cut into 8 wedges and spread out on baking sheet.  Brush with some yummy cream (this is what will help give it that beautiful color).  Sometimes, I like to add some sanding sugar here to give it that sparkly top.  Completely up to you.  

Combine powdered sugar and lemon juice to form a thick glaze.  Drizzle or brush over the tops of your scones.  











\


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...