Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Easy Date Night Caramel Corn

When I was pregnant with Weston the one thing I craved the most was caramel corn. Not that lovely red box of cracker jax box, though.  That yummy crunch-a-munch box that every now and then graced the dollar spot sections at Target was where my heart was. And a bag of moose munch.  I probably had a problem.  Seriously.
I really do like making caramel corn.  I mean there are some great recipes (some even on this blog) out there.  But last weekend, I wanted a yummy treat to watch a movie with the hubs, but didn't want to spend a ton of time making caramel corn and I didn't just want Kettle Corn.  It was quite a predicament.  But, thank goodness, I found a recipe that really hit the spot.  Seriously, I would have never guessed that marshmallows would be an ingredient the would make a lovely, crunchy caramel corn.  I confess, I really thought it was going to end up more like a rice krispy treat.  But, now I am not sure I will use anything different.  

Did I mention that I am still eating them. . . a couple days later and they are even better. . . just like a box of crunch-a-munch.  Okay.  I have a problem.  Get me help.  Please!

Caramel Corn
adapted from here

Ingredients:
1 bag of popped microwave popcorn
1 cup (heaping) mini marshmallows
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter

Directions:
Pour your popped popcorn into a large bowl, so you will be able to stir it without it all falling out.  This is VERY important, or you will have popcorn and caramel all over your floor. . . Trust me on this!

In another, smaller and microwave safe bowl (I recommend one of those 4 cup Pyrex measuring cups, because it's going to get foamy).  Melt your butter.  Then add brown sugar and marshmallows. Microwave for 1 minute.  Stir and return to microwave.  Repeat. Microwave again for 2 more minutes. Whisk until smooth.  Pour over popcorn and stir carefully.  

Pour out onto a lined baking sheet and let rest.  Just a few minutes will do.  Break apart and eat.


If you are looking for more caramel corn ideas, check out this one:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing your comments and feedback. . . It makes my day!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...